IB HL Chemistry Lab Suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about designing and performing a chemistry lab with the goal of determining the oxidizing or reducing characteristics of given metals and solutions. The main suggestion is to create a galvanic cell and accurately carry out the experiment to impress the teacher. Additional topics, such as statistical measures, may also be relevant but may require a higher level of knowledge.
rocketboy
Hey everyone,

I have a chemistry lab that I have to set up for monday, and it is very open-ended, meaning we (the "scientists") design and perform our own lab according to some general guidlines. So I was hoping that by posting this here I would get some expert suggestions.

"You will be provided with a group of metals and corresponding solutions containing the ions of these metals. Design, implement, and analyze an experiment that will tell you something about the oxidizing or reducing characteristics of five of the metals and /or the provided solutions. Access to appropriate laboratory solutions will be provided.

Metals: Cu, Mg, Zn, Pb, Al, Fe, Ni
Solutions: Cu2+, Mg2+, Zn2+, Pb2+, Al3+, Fe2+, Ni2+"

My friend and I were thinking of creating something along the lines of a battery from the materials, and measuring the voltage which would indicate that electrons are changing place. We also thought a simpler approach would be to just take the mass of the materials before and after the reactions and analyze those.

What would you suggest? I really need to do well on this, I want to impress my teacher, I want him to say "WOW that is amazing work you have done!".

Thanks everyone!
-Jonathan :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
you could compare the oxidizing/reducing potentials by setting up a galvanic cell; that's what your teacher seems to be asking for. Carrying out the experiment efficiently and accurately will surely impress your teacher; as far as the "WOW" factor goes, you'll need more theory. In fact, statistical measures and other topics covered in a college quantitative analysis would be appropriate, but it's above your level.

Hi Jonathan,

First of all, it's great that you and your friend are taking the initiative to design your own lab. This shows a lot of critical thinking skills and creativity, which are important in the IB program.

For this lab, I would suggest focusing on the redox reactions between the metals and solutions. You can start by doing some research on the standard reduction potentials for each metal and solution, which will give you an idea of their oxidizing or reducing characteristics. From there, you can design an experiment to test these reactions and measure the changes in voltage or mass as you mentioned.

One idea could be to set up a series of galvanic cells using the different metals and solutions. By connecting the cells in series, you can create a battery and measure the overall voltage produced. You can also vary the concentrations of the solutions to see how it affects the voltage. This will give you a better understanding of the reactivity of the metals and their ability to transfer electrons.

Another approach could be to use a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of the solutions before and after the reactions. This can give you information about the changes in concentration of the ions and their oxidation states.

Whichever method you choose, make sure to have a control group and repeat the experiment several times to ensure accuracy and reliability of your results. Also, don't forget to analyze your data and draw conclusions based on your findings. Good luck with your lab and I hope you impress your teacher!

1. What is IB HL Chemistry?

IB HL Chemistry refers to the International Baccalaureate Higher Level Chemistry course. It is an advanced level course offered to students in the last two years of high school, usually for students aged 16-19.

2. What are lab suggestions for IB HL Chemistry?

Lab suggestions for IB HL Chemistry may vary depending on the specific curriculum and teacher, but some common lab topics include organic chemistry, biochemistry, kinetics, and thermodynamics. It is important to consult with your teacher for specific lab suggestions.

3. How many lab hours are required for IB HL Chemistry?

According to the IB organization, a minimum of 60 hours of laboratory work is required for IB HL Chemistry. This includes both supervised and unsupervised lab work.

4. Are there any safety guidelines for IB HL Chemistry labs?

Yes, safety is a crucial aspect of laboratory work in IB HL Chemistry. Students are expected to follow proper safety procedures and guidelines, such as wearing appropriate protective gear, handling chemicals carefully, and disposing of materials properly.

5. What skills can students gain from IB HL Chemistry labs?

IB HL Chemistry labs not only provide hands-on experience and reinforce theoretical concepts, but they also help students develop various skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. These skills are transferable and can be useful in future studies and careers.