Finding the angle of 3-dimensional vectors.

In summary, to find the angle between two vectors with given components, we can use the definition of scalar (dot) product by calculating the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes. Then, taking the arccosine of the result will give us the angle in between the two vectors. This method uses the formula \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = AB\cos\theta.
niyati
How would the angle between two vectors be found, if, for each vector, three components (i, j, k) were given?

Ex. Given that vector A = 2.0 i + 4.0 j - 7.0 k and vector B = 5.0 i - 3.0 j + 1.0 k, what is the angle between A and B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of the scalar (dot) product.

Last edited:
Ok.

We can find it by dot product.We know that for two vectors A and B

[tex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = AB\cos\theta[/tex]

Hence find A dot B and divide it by AB. And take its arccosine and you will get your angle.

...dot...product?

All right. I'm pulling out some of my old Pre-Cal stuff, when I learned that. :DDD

Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle of 3-dimensional vectors?

The angle between two vectors in a three-dimensional space helps determine the relationship between them. It can also be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector when two or more vectors are combined.

2. How is the angle between two 3-dimensional vectors calculated?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula or the cross product formula. The dot product formula involves finding the cosine of the angle, while the cross product formula involves finding the sine of the angle. Both formulas take into account the magnitude and direction of the vectors.

3. Can the angle between two 3-dimensional vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be negative if they are pointing in opposite directions. This is because the dot product formula results in a negative value in this scenario. However, the angle is usually reported as a positive value using the absolute value function.

4. What is the range of possible values for the angle between two 3-dimensional vectors?

The angle between two vectors can range from 0 degrees (when the vectors are pointing in the same direction) to 180 degrees (when the vectors are pointing in opposite directions). This range represents the maximum and minimum values for the cosine and sine functions.

5. How does the angle between 3-dimensional vectors relate to their orthogonality?

Two vectors are considered orthogonal (or perpendicular) if their angle is 90 degrees. In other words, the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is equal to 0. Therefore, finding the angle between two vectors can help determine if they are orthogonal or not.