Impulse Response for a 2nd Order Diffy Q

In summary: However, this is not necessary.The reason why 6\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h'(t)\, dx evaluates to zero is because of the definition of the integral. When evaluating a definite integral from -0 to +0, both limits are the same point, and since h'(t) is continuous at t=0, the value of the integral is zero. This is true for any continuous function, not just for h'(t).In summary, when solving the system of equations, it is not necessary to assume that h(0+)=0. The integral 6\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h'(t)\, dx evaluates to zero because of the definition
xcvxcvvc
[tex]y'' + 6y' + 4y = x(t)[/tex]
I found the eigenvalues to be -.764 and -5.24, no problems here. Next, since the order of the response is greater than the order of the excitation, I assumed the unit response took the form:

[tex] h(t) = k_1e^{-.764t} + k_2e^{-5.24t}[/tex]

So now I must find the values for k_1 and k_2. If I integrate both sides from -0 to +0, I should find one equation that will help in this endeavor. This is where I run into some problems.

[tex]\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h''(t)\, dx + 6\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h'(t)\, dx + 4\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h(t)\, dx = \int\limits_{-0}^{+0}\delta(t)\, dx[/tex]

which becomes:

[tex] h'(+0) - h'(-0) + 6[h(+0) - h(-0)] + 4\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h(t)\, dx = u(+0) - u(-0)[/tex]

Now, h(t) has no impulse in it. Therefore, an integral from -0 to +0 of h(t) = 0. Also, since the only excitation is the impulse, occurring at t = 0, and this system is causal, all h(t) and its derivatives evaluated at -0 evaluate to zero. Further, a step function at -0 is zero and at +0 is 1:

[tex] h'(+0) + 6h(+0) = 1[/tex]

I then substitute in h'(+0) and 6h(+0):

[tex] h'(+0) + 6h(+0) = -.764K_1 - 5.24K_2 + 6k_1 + 6K_2 = 1[/tex]

The problem is that the first equation generated in the solutions does not have the additional 6k_1 and 6K_2. Can someone explain to me why [tex]6\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h'(t)\, dx[/tex] evaluates to zero?

I've completed the problem, and some how got the same(right) answer? How can this be? When I solved these two systems of equations (the first, what I derived and the second what the solutions manual derived) i got the same answer.
[tex]5.236k_1 + .760k_2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]k_1 + k_2 = 0[/tex]

theirs:
[tex] -.760k_1 - 5.24k_2 = 1[/tex]
[tex] k_1 + k_2 = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xcvxcvvc said:
[tex] h'(+0) - h'(-0) + 6[h(+0) - h(-0)] + 4\int\limits_{-0}^{+0}h(t)\, dx = u(+0) - u(-0)[/tex]
The RHS is finite, so you need h'(0+) to also be finite. For the derivative h'(0+) to exist, h(t) has to be continuous at t=0, so you know that h(0+)=h(0-).

You probably used this fact to say that h(0+)=0, which gave you your second equation k1+k2=0.

1. What is an impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation?

An impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation is the output of the system when an impulse (infinitesimally short) input is applied. It is a mathematical representation of the system's behavior and can be used to analyze the system's response to different inputs.

2. How is an impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation calculated?

To calculate an impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation, the equation is first transformed into the frequency domain using Laplace transform. Then, the inverse Laplace transform is applied to the transformed equation to obtain the time-domain impulse response.

3. What information can be obtained from an impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation?

An impulse response can provide information about the system's stability, damping ratio, natural frequency, and overall behavior. It can also be used to predict the system's response to different inputs and to design controllers for the system.

4. Can an impulse response for a 2nd order differential equation be used for any type of system?

Yes, an impulse response can be used for any type of system that can be represented by a 2nd order differential equation. This includes mechanical, electrical, and control systems.

5. How is an impulse response experimentally determined?

An impulse response can be experimentally determined by applying a short pulse or impulse input to the system and measuring its output. The measured output can then be compared to the theoretical impulse response calculated from the system's differential equation to validate the model.