Question - Calculating Coefficients for 2nd Order Transient Analysis

In summary, when calculating the coefficients for second order transient analysis, it is important to use the correct pair of constants for both the voltage and the current equations. There is a relationship between the two pairs of constants that can be determined by exploring the equation for current in terms of voltage.
damianpd
Homework Statement
Calculating K1 and K2 coefficients for second order transient analysis.
Relevant Equations
v(0), v'(0), i(0), i'(0)
Hello everyone,

I am struggling with calculating the coefficients for second order transient analysis.

For example, when analyzing a underdamped circuit, we know that the equation for voltage or current is xt=e-αt(K1cos(sqrt(ω22)t ) + K2sin(sqrt(ω22)t)).

Then in order to determine for example v(t), I would first determine what v(0) is, and plugging in 0 for all values of t in the above equation, I would get the result v(0)=K1.

Then the next step in calculating K2, I need to take the derivative of v(0) in order to determine the coefficient.

However, when following these steps, my solution isn't always correct when comparing it to the book solutions. Sometimes they utilize v(0) and v'(0), and other times they use v(0) and i(0) to determine these coefficients.

Some examples:
https://ibb.co/233Zd0q <---- In this they use i(0) and i'(0)

https://ibb.co/DMyDfM4 <---- In this, they use v(0) and i(0)

I would greatly appreciate some sort of explanation regarding this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit:
I have added my work for the second problem, in which I attempt to get K1 and K2 using v(0) and i(0), as well as i(0) and i'(0).

When doing it the first method, I get K1=-4 and K2=22, while the second method I get K1=4 and K2=-7.

Method 1: https://ibb.co/XL4CY11 Method 2: https://ibb.co/FxnYxPk

You use the same constants ##K_1## and ##K_2## in both the equations for the current and the voltage (at the ends of the capacitor). This is not correct. If we use the constants ##K_1## and ##K_2## for voltage, then we should use the constants ##K_1'## and ##K_2'## for the current. There is a relationship between the two pairs of constants which you can find out by exploring the equation $$i(t)=C\frac{dv(t)}{dt}$$.
In your first method you calculate the pair of constants for the voltage, but in the second method you calculate the pair of constants for the current. That's why those two pairs differ.

1. What is the purpose of calculating coefficients for 2nd order transient analysis?

The purpose of calculating coefficients for 2nd order transient analysis is to determine the behavior of a system over time. This analysis is commonly used in engineering and physics to understand how a system responds to changes in its environment or inputs.

2. How do you calculate the coefficients for 2nd order transient analysis?

The coefficients for 2nd order transient analysis can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as Laplace transforms, differential equations, or numerical integration. The specific method used will depend on the nature of the system and the desired accuracy of the analysis.

3. What factors affect the coefficients in 2nd order transient analysis?

The coefficients in 2nd order transient analysis are affected by various factors, including the initial conditions of the system, the properties of the system (such as mass, stiffness, and damping), and external forces or inputs acting on the system.

4. Can the coefficients change over time in 2nd order transient analysis?

Yes, the coefficients in 2nd order transient analysis can change over time. This is because the behavior of the system may change over time due to external factors or changes in the system's properties. Therefore, it is important to continuously analyze and update the coefficients to accurately predict the system's behavior.

5. What are some applications of 2nd order transient analysis?

2nd order transient analysis has various applications in engineering and physics, such as analyzing the response of mechanical systems to vibrations, understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, and predicting the motion of objects in fluid dynamics. It is also commonly used in control systems to design and optimize the performance of systems over time.