Mathematical Neuroscience

In summary, mathematical neuroscience is a hot and growing field that utilizes branches of mathematics such as nonlinear dynamics, differential equations, statistics, and neural networks. An applied mathematics degree is recommended for those interested in this field, as it offers a wider range of job opportunities compared to a mathematical physics degree. Additionally, there are many job opportunities for those with a background in statistics and computing, but it may be beneficial to pursue a master's degree for more advanced positions.
Kevin_Axion
I just have a few quick questions on mathematical neuroscience. What are the branches of mathematics that are used frequently in neuroscience? And finally, is it common for math majors to enter neuroscience in graduate school?

Yes, I'm thinking about it micro, now don't pester me!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Kevin! :smile:

This might not be the best forum to ask this on, but I did a little research. The fields "mathematical neuroscience", "computational neuroscience" and "neuroimaging" are very hot fields. Take a look at following links:

http://www.whydomath.org/node/HHneuro/index.html
http://neurotheory.columbia.edu/~ken/math-notes/

Apparently, in uses nonlinear dynamics a lot (which is very interesting!). In any case, you will want to do an applied mathematics program with focus on differential equations, statistics, analysis, Fourier analysis, neural networks,...

I have a bit of experience in neuro-imaging and image-compression, but it is a very interesting field. It uses quite a lot of deep and pure mathematics (mostly analysis, functional analysis, etc.). I've had the honor of following a class of one of the prominent figures of image-compression, professor Daubechies. She did a double major in mathematics and physics in my university, and worked in quantum mechanics for a while. But she then switched to image compression and did fabulous work there. So I guess that an applied math/physics degree does prepare you sufficiently for an applied carreer.

If you want to consider this path, then an applied mathematics degree is useful. Taking classes in computer science, physics and engineering is very advisable. Be sure to find a school were applied stuff is popular, though, as many pure mathematicians can get bogged down in theoretical details that don't matter...

As for job prospects and whether mathematicians really have a chance of becoming neuroscientists, you will probably have to ask people working in the field. I don't know if there are such a people on PF...

In another attempt to convince you of the usefulness of mathematics: take a look at the site

http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking.php

it gives all kind of possible careers of applied mathematicians. There are all kind of job opportunities out there, and very likely some you will find interesting.

I said applied math and your response was "no, pure mathematics only" :wink:. Although I was reluctant towards both due to job opportunities so thanks! What is better for preparation then, an applied mathematics, mathematical physics or pure mathematics degree?

Last edited:
Kevin_Axion said:
I said applied math and your response was "no, pure mathematics only" :wink:.

I was joking :biggrin: You mustn't take me all that serious about these things (certainly in chat). Just do what you think you'll like! :smile:

micromass said:
I was joking :biggrin: You mustn't take me all that serious about these things (certainly in chat). Just do what you think you'll like! :smile:

I do like math a lot it's just a matter of job opportunities. I also very much enjoy neuroscience which is a growing field so I'm trying to draw a connection which you have helped me with so thanks!

Kevin_Axion said:
What is better for preparation then, an applied mathematics or mathematical physics degree?

I would lean towards applied mathematics if you want the better job opportunities. The thing about applied mathematics is that it is used in so many fields, not only physics. Image processing, data mining, optimization are all studied by applied mathematics. Mathematical physics might limit you to physics thingies. (of course, this is a mathematician speaking).

Also, I want to make it clear that I have absolutely nothing against applied mathematics. These are very powerful and interesting fields. I wish I knew more about them...

Thanks micro, you're always of good help!

Gonna hijack this thread but i have a question for micromass. If i want to do a job that requires a good level of high mathematics but also want to program with these mathematics, what kind of jobs are out there? By high level mathematics, i mean just some undergraduate courses on stochastics, analysis, data mining, etc..?

I'd also like to take knowledge in computer science (at the undergraduate level for 3rd and 4th year classes) and apply it as well.

Basically i want a job that optimizes an undergraduate degree that has specialization in statistics and computing. Possibly without taking a masters degree.

kramer733 said:
Gonna hijack this thread but i have a question for micromass. If i want to do a job that requires a good level of high mathematics but also want to program with these mathematics, what kind of jobs are out there? By high level mathematics, i mean just some undergraduate courses on stochastics, analysis, data mining, etc..?

I'd also like to take knowledge in computer science (at the undergraduate level for 3rd and 4th year classes) and apply it as well.

Basically i want a job that optimizes an undergraduate degree that has specialization in statistics and computing. Possibly without taking a masters degree.

You really shouldn't me for such a things, I don't think I'm very qualified to give a decent answer. You should ask twofish-quant, he knows quite a lot of such a things.

But anyway, I kind of doubt that an undergraduate degree alone will get you what you want. I'd consider doing a masters degree.

I think there really are lots of jobs out there that you describe. Basically every job as statistician will give you what you want. You only need to choose what kind of statistics interests you the most. Also see this: http://www.siam.org/careers/thinking/fields.php

People with knowledge of statistics are really in high demand, so you should find a job fairly easily.

1. What is Mathematical Neuroscience?

Mathematical Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from mathematics, physics, and computer science to study the brain and its functions. It involves using mathematical models and analytical tools to understand how neurons and neural networks process information and generate behaviors.

2. What are the key areas of research in Mathematical Neuroscience?

The key areas of research in Mathematical Neuroscience include modeling neural networks, studying information processing and coding in the brain, and understanding the relationship between brain structure and function. Other important areas include the study of brain dynamics, learning and memory, and decision making.

3. How does Mathematical Neuroscience contribute to our understanding of the brain?

Mathematical Neuroscience helps us understand the brain in a quantitative and systematic way. By developing mathematical models and using computational techniques, we can simulate and predict the behavior of neurons and neural networks, and gain insights into how the brain functions as a complex system.

4. What are some practical applications of Mathematical Neuroscience?

Mathematical Neuroscience has various practical applications, including the development of brain-computer interfaces, understanding and treating neurological disorders, and designing artificial intelligence algorithms inspired by the brain's functioning. It also has implications in fields such as economics, psychology, and robotics.

5. What skills are required to work in the field of Mathematical Neuroscience?

To work in the field of Mathematical Neuroscience, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Familiarity with neuroscience and biology is also necessary. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming skills are essential for developing and analyzing mathematical models of neural systems.