Advice on neuroscience academic path?

In summary, the individual is a junior in high school with a strong interest in neuroscience, chemistry, physics, and engineering. They have been exploring academic pathways in neuroscience and have a goal to pursue post-doctorate studies in the field. They are looking for advice from current neuroscience students and professionals, specifically in neurophysics and neural engineering. They are also considering medical school as an option. They have been doing research on neuroscience through Wikipedia and Google and are considering computational neuroscience as well. They are advised to research different fields to narrow down their interests.
spriggster
So I'm a junior in high school currently with a very, very strong interest in neuroscience, among other sciences (specifically chemistry and physics), and engineering as well (part of school's FIRST robotics team as lead programmer). For the past few months or so, I've been exploring academic pathways in the neuroscience field. I plan to go beyond the bachelor's degree and go into post-doctorate studies one day (just a goal as of now).

I was wondering if there was a neuroscience major who went onto post-graduate studies, and even current neuroscience students who might give me an idea of what to expect and prepare for if I decide to take this path. I'm looking at neurophysics and neural engineering currently, as those seem to be peaking my interest. Med School is even an option this early in planning, as that's all it is.

Thanks,
David

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read the wikipedia article on neuroscience?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience

There are many career options listed.

Also searching on neuroscience degree via google lists a lot of universities with these kinds of programs.

My suggestion would be to do some research into who teaches courses you are interested in at a graduate level and then contact the profs to find out more about the research...

You could even do Computational Neuroscience by learning the necessary languages and writing and running simulations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_neuroscience

Researching as many fields as you can will help you narrow your interest to what you really want.

1. What is the best degree to pursue for a career in neuroscience?

The most common degree for a career in neuroscience is a PhD in Neuroscience or a related field such as Biology, Psychology, or Biochemistry. However, there are also options for a career in neuroscience with a Master's degree.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in neuroscience to pursue a career in this field?

While having a background in neuroscience can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many individuals in the field come from diverse backgrounds such as biology, psychology, computer science, and engineering. It is more important to have a strong foundation in the scientific method and a passion for understanding the brain.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available in neuroscience?

There are a variety of job opportunities in neuroscience, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and pharmaceutical companies. Other options include science writing, science communication, and science policy. Additionally, many individuals with a background in neuroscience go on to pursue medical or graduate degrees.

4. How important is research experience for a career in neuroscience?

Research experience is highly valued in the field of neuroscience. It not only provides practical skills and knowledge, but also demonstrates a strong commitment to the field. Many graduate programs and job opportunities require research experience, so it is important to gain experience through internships, volunteering, or working in a lab during undergraduate studies.

5. What skills are necessary for success in a neuroscience academic path?

Some key skills for success in a neuroscience academic path include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also important to have a strong work ethic, perseverance, and a passion for learning. Developing these skills through coursework, research, and other experiences can help set you up for success in your academic and professional journey in neuroscience.