Bloch state + Photonic crystals master equation

In summary: I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, the user is trying to derive the third equation from the second equation provided in the image, which represents the Bloch state for a periodic dielectric arrangement. Using Maxwell's equations and the identity \vec{\nabla}\times\phi\vec{F}=\nabla\phi\times\vec{F}+\phi\vec{\nabla}
carlosbgois
Hello all!

I've been trying to go from the second to the third equation shown in the image.
Here, [itex]\vec{H}(\vec{r})=e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}}\vec{u}_\vec{k}(\vec{r})[/itex] is the Bloch state for some periodic dielectric arrangement.

344wmxl.png

I have tried using the identity that [itex]\vec{\nabla}\times\phi\vec{F}=\nabla\phi\times\vec{F}+\phi\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F} [/itex], and got to the result [itex]\vec{\nabla}\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\left[i\vec{k}\times\vec{u}+\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{u}\right]\right)=\frac{\omega^2}{c^2}\vec{u}[/itex], but can't see where to go from here.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are trying to derive the third equation from the second equation in the image provided. The second equation represents the Bloch state for a periodic dielectric arrangement, where \vec{H}(\vec{r}) is the magnetic field and e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}}\vec{u}_\vec{k}(\vec{r}) is the periodic part of the Bloch state. In order to derive the third equation, you can use the Maxwell's equations in the form of \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial t} and \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{H}=\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\vec{D}}{\partial t}, where \vec{E} is the electric field and \vec{D} is the electric displacement field. From these equations, you can derive the relation \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{H}=\frac{\omega}{c}\vec{D}, where \omega is the frequency of the electromagnetic wave. Since \vec{D}=\epsilon\vec{E}, where \epsilon is the dielectric constant, you can substitute this into the previous equation to get \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{H}=\frac{\omega}{c}\epsilon\vec{E}. Using the identity you mentioned, \vec{\nabla}\times\phi\vec{F}=\nabla\phi\times\vec{F}+\phi\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}, you can rewrite this equation as \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{H}=\frac{\omega}{c}\epsilon\vec{E}=\frac{\omega}{c}\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\epsilon\right)\vec{E}=\frac{\omega}{c}\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right)\left[\vec{\nabla}\times\left(i\vec{k}\times\vec{u}+\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{u}\right)\right]. From here, you can equate the coefficients of \vec{E} and \vec{H} to get the desired result \vec{\

1. What is a Bloch state?

A Bloch state is a quantum mechanical state that describes the behavior of a particle in a periodic potential. It is characterized by a periodicity in both space and time, and can be represented as a wave function with a well-defined energy and momentum.

2. What are photonic crystals?

Photonic crystals are materials that have a periodic variation in their refractive index, causing them to exhibit unique optical properties such as band gaps and strong light-matter interactions. They are commonly used in the field of photonics for controlling and manipulating light.

3. What is the master equation in the context of Bloch states and photonic crystals?

The master equation is a mathematical tool used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. In the context of Bloch states and photonic crystals, it is used to model the dynamics of a quantum particle in a periodic potential under the influence of a dissipative environment.

4. How are Bloch states and photonic crystals related?

Bloch states and photonic crystals are closely related as the periodic potential in photonic crystals gives rise to Bloch states. These states play a crucial role in determining the optical properties of photonic crystals, such as their band structure and light-matter interactions.

5. What are some potential applications of studying Bloch states and photonic crystals?

Studying Bloch states and photonic crystals has potential applications in various fields such as telecommunications, optical computing, and quantum information processing. It can also lead to the development of new materials and devices with unique optical properties, such as photonic band gap materials and cavity quantum electrodynamics systems.