State Machine Diagram for a Telephone?

Each 'State' have a set of actions that can be performed when that state is reached and a set of 'Transitions' that define the path to other states.In summary, a State Machine Diagram for a telephone would include possible states such as Idle and on/off hook, Dial tone, Dialing, Connecting, On hook and Ringing, Connected, Announcing Busy and Off hook. Each state would have a description of the events that cause a transition to another state, such as a phone carrier connection or user operating dial. It is also known as a Finite State Automaton and includes an initial and end state, with each state having a set of actions and transitions.
kloong
Hi, I'm not from Software Engineering background and I'm trying to learn State Machine Diagrams on my own by looking at resources on the internet.

I'm trying to come up with a State Machine Diagram for a telephone but I can't seem to find an answer on the internet. Can you help me by telling me how should a state diagram for a telephone looks like?

Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
First list the possible states for a telephone. For example:
1) Idle and on hook
2) Idle and off hook
3) Dial tone
4) Dialing
5) Connecting
6) On hook and Ringing
7) Connected
8) Announcing Busy
9) Announcing Off hook

Now draw a bubble for each one and describe what events cause a transition from one of those states to another.

For example:
(Idle and off hook) -> Phone carrier connection -> (Dial tone)
(IDial tone) -> User operating dial -> (Dialing)
(Dialing) -> Phone carrier recognizes dialed number -> (Connecting)

'State Machine' also known as 'Finite State Automaton', is a directed Graph of 'States' and 'Transitions' between 'States'.

it has 'Initial State' & 'End State'.

'End state' might be reachable or not.

Related to State Machine Diagram for a Telephone?

1. What is a State Machine Diagram for a Telephone?

A State Machine Diagram for a Telephone is a visual representation of the different states and transitions that a telephone can go through while in use. It shows the possible states of the telephone, such as "idle" or "ringing", and the events or actions that can cause it to transition from one state to another.

2. Why is a State Machine Diagram useful for a Telephone?

A State Machine Diagram is useful because it helps to understand the different behaviors and functionalities of a telephone in a clear and organized way. It also helps to identify potential issues or errors in the phone's design and can be used to improve its overall functionality.

3. What are the main components of a State Machine Diagram for a Telephone?

The main components of a State Machine Diagram for a Telephone include states, transitions, and events. States represent the different modes or conditions of the telephone, transitions show the possible changes between states, and events are the actions or stimuli that trigger these transitions.

4. How is a State Machine Diagram for a Telephone created?

A State Machine Diagram for a Telephone is typically created using a graphical modeling tool, such as UML (Unified Modeling Language) or SysML (Systems Modeling Language). The diagram is built by identifying the different states of the telephone and the events that can cause it to transition from one state to another.

5. What are some real-life examples of State Machine Diagrams for Telephones?

Some real-life examples of State Machine Diagrams for Telephones include a landline telephone with its different states (e.g. "on-hook", "off-hook", "ringing") and possible transitions, a mobile phone with its various modes (e.g. "silent", "vibrate", "ring") and how it switches between them, and a digital phone system with its different functions (e.g. "call forwarding", "call waiting", "do not disturb") and how they interact with each other.