Confirming: Is Electric Field Double between Oppositely Charged Plates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel conducting plates and the resulting electric field between them. The question is raised about the accuracy of using simplified versions of Gauss's equation and whether they produce the same result for a single charged plane and two opposing plates. It is concluded that there may be a factor of 1/2 missing in the first equation and further clarification will be provided after the exam.
teilchen
obvious question IMO, but just need to make sure before test.

if you have two parallel conducting plates, and apply charge to one of them, then the field between them is half, compared to if the plates were acting as an air capacitor ie. both plates oppositely charged?

thing is, when I use a simplified version of gauss, the field on an infinite sheet of charge is

charge density/permittivity

which is the exact same as if I use

Q/V=[permittivity*plate area]/plate seperation.

i tried to use latex, but I've never really used it, and it came out all wrong due bad syntax. sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what is your question?

whether the 2nd paragraph is correct...thought the question mark might've given it away. :P

Sorry. You said it like it was a true statement, which it is, and I didn't see the question mark. The second plate has no effect in this case, and the field is just that of a single charged plane.

ok, from common sense POV that's fine.

the further question i suppose, is why the two (bold) word equations simplify to the same thing, when one is for a single charged plane, and the other is for 2 opposing ones. (presuming I've made no mistake)

You're missing a factor of 1/2 in the first equation.

theeen my gauss is wrong...may have been the way I've learned it - via the "number of lines" instead of a formal mathematical integral.

when I learn my latex (after tomorrows exam then) I'll clarify what i meant.

ed: actually i think i figured out what I did wrong now, post tomorrow :D

1. How is the electric field between oppositely charged plates measured?

The electric field between oppositely charged plates can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This meter measures the strength and direction of the electric field by detecting the force on a charged object placed in the field.

2. Why is the electric field between oppositely charged plates double?

The electric field between oppositely charged plates is double because the electric field lines originate from one plate and terminate on the other plate, creating a uniform electric field between the plates. This means that the field strength is the same at any point between the plates, resulting in a doubling of the field strength compared to that of a single plate.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between oppositely charged plates?

The strength of the electric field between oppositely charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. Can the electric field between oppositely charged plates be changed?

Yes, the electric field between oppositely charged plates can be changed by altering the distance between the plates or changing the magnitude of the charges on the plates. Additionally, the introduction of a dielectric material between the plates can also affect the strength of the electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the electric field between oppositely charged plates?

Understanding the electric field between oppositely charged plates is important in various technological applications such as capacitors, which use the electric field between plates to store and release energy. It is also crucial in the design of electronic devices, such as computer circuit boards, where the electric field between plates is utilized to control the flow of electrons. Additionally, understanding the electric field between plates is essential in the development of medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).