Can a mechanical engineering guy apply for MS in physics?

In summary, the conversation involves two individuals who are currently studying engineering but have a strong interest in physics. They are considering pursuing a Master's degree in physics after completing their Bachelor's degree in engineering. They are unsure about the possibility of making such a change and the role of their GPA and exams such as PGRE in getting into a good university. One of the individuals suggests that they can interact and help each other in this journey.
f2009567
I am a 2nd year student at BITS Pilani(India) and I am pursuing in mechanical engg. Since in India you don't have a lot of options other than engineering and my college has a good reputation here, I decided to opt for engineering. However, I don't have any real interest in engineering and I wanted to take physics for my MS after completing my bachelors (I really physics) . I haven't quite decide what field I would like to go into. But I have arnd 2yrs n studying on my own, I am pretty sure I will be able to work that out by then.

Is it possible for me to make such a change?

I have a not too good-not, too bad GPA of 7.0/10. Would taking an exam like PGRE and really acing it help my cause n get me a good university?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply, but whether or not you'll be accepted without the undergraduate physics background is a different story. It'll depend on the institution.

hi f2009567,
I am also in 2nd year in DCE(delhi college of engineering) in EEE branch and also stuck in a similar position as i don't have much interest in engg. and really like physics...I have tried to find out from various sources and i think we can get into a decent college offering MS in physics provided we get a good score in GRE(i think above 1500-1550 is needed) and get some basic knowledge.
i think we can interact and be of help to each other.
contact me via PM or post a reply here.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can a mechanical engineering graduate apply for a Master's degree in Physics?

Yes, a mechanical engineering graduate can apply for a Master's degree in Physics. While a background in mechanical engineering may differ from the traditional path of a physics major, it is still a relevant and valuable skill set for pursuing a graduate degree in physics.

2. Are there any specific prerequisites or courses that a mechanical engineering graduate needs to complete before applying for a Master's in Physics?

Most universities have specific prerequisites for their graduate programs in physics, and these may vary from institution to institution. However, as a mechanical engineering graduate, you may already have a strong foundation in mathematics and some basic physics courses, which could fulfill some of these prerequisites. It is best to check with the specific university you are applying to for their requirements.

3. How does a Master's in Physics differ from a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering?

A Master's in Physics is a specialized degree that focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics. It delves deeper into concepts such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, whereas a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering covers a broader range of engineering topics such as mechanics, materials science, and design. However, both degrees involve problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which are essential in both fields.

4. Can a Master's in Physics lead to a career in mechanical engineering?

While a Master's in Physics does not directly lead to a career in mechanical engineering, it can open up opportunities for interdisciplinary work in areas such as materials science, energy systems, and research and development. Additionally, the analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree can be applied to various engineering fields.

5. What career options are available for a mechanical engineering graduate with a Master's in Physics?

A Master's in Physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government agencies, or private companies. It can also open up opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, where a strong understanding of physics principles is valuable. Additionally, graduates can pursue further education, such as a Ph.D. in Physics, to advance their career options.