What concepts of General Chemistry are important in Physics?

In summary, Chemistry is important for physics majors because it teaches you about the basics of quantum mechanics and mathematics. It is also important for physics majors to know about thermodynamics, the molecular structure and the structure of solids. Daniel.Taking General Chemistry will not help you in your physics degree, but it will help you learn more about chemistry. The topics important for physics majors are thermodynamics, the molecular structure and the structure of solids.
relativitydude
I am taking General Chemistry right now, what parts of chemistry are important in the last two years of a physics BS degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
relativitydude said:
I am taking General Chemistry right now, what parts of chemistry are important in the last two years of a physics BS degree?

Hopefully I'm not offending our chemists on the forums,but the unique answer is:NONE.Moreover,fundamental chemistry is pure physics (quantum mechanics to be exact).I've always wondered myself why they teach a semester of General Chemistry at the phyiscs schools.Probably they want to show us that quantum mechanics and mathematics are useful for other domains as well.

Daniel.

Stuff like lewis structures, electron configurations, geometry, chemical reactions, etc have no future use for me?

relativitydude said:
Stuff like lewis structures, electron configurations, geometry, chemical reactions, etc have no future use for me?

1.Lewis structure:not a chance.
2.Electron configurations:yep,u'll discuss them in the atom phyiscs course,bu it's good to know them in advance.
3.Geometry of molecules:no.Maybe a course (if u have) on symmetries will discuss symmetry groups for crystals and probably molecules.But again,i stress that the teacher will assume no knowledge whatsoever and he should take it from zero.
4.Chemical reactions:not a chance.

Daniel.

Apperanty Chem 201/203 (General Chem) are courses not ment to inform but are ment to challenge students. It is ment to separate the strong students and the weaker students. This is what my prof says anyway...

So I am taking chemistry for a general science information?

chemistry in physics

I've just taken a general chemistry course and the topics important for physics seem to be thermodynamics, the molecular structure and the structure of solids. We had a lot of quantum chemistry and that will certainly be useful in physics courses.

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all/

relativitydude said:
So I am taking chemistry for a general science information?

Apparently so.Dont't worry,if u're having a good thermo teacher,a good teacher on solid state and a good one on atom and molecule physics,everything's going to be just fine... :tongue2: I wouldn't worry,if i were u.I'd just pass the damn exam,without stressing my nervs too much.

Daniel.

I enjoyed chemistry one, it was enlightening. I learned alot.

I already took the final and bombed it. Really bombed it bad. Just by pure bad luck, the test of twelve questions was on my worst areas. I was hoping for physics type questions (thermodynamics, light questions, etc) I couldve gotten a B+ if I didnt screw up, now a C+ and possibly a B- if I am lucky.

My areas that I am horrible are at naming and determing the types of chemical reactions. It all clouds up in my mind. It didnt help I started to freak out and started to make tons of silly mistakes (balancing, etc)

Do you know of any sources where I can be helped in those areas?

Courses in Physical Chemistry and related areas would seem appropriate. I would think that General Chemistry would be a course taken during the first two years of a baccalaureate program in Physics or other science.

Physicists and chemists usually specialize in specific areas, so look for courses in the area of most interest to you.

As for resources, there is the Chemistry forum here, and many websites dedicated to particular areas within chemistry.

Also check out - Royal Society of Chemistry's - journal Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics

And the http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/home.html should have something equivalent.

Registration or membership may be required by both organizations for access to the really useful material, but students usually get a substantial discount.

Also check out Chemweb.com, which gives a good overview of different areas in chemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between chemistry and physics?

The concepts of general chemistry are important in physics because chemistry and physics are closely related sciences. Chemistry deals with the composition, structure, and properties of matter, while physics deals with the study of energy, motion, and forces. Many principles and laws in physics are based on the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of matter studied in chemistry.

2. Why is understanding atomic structure important in physics?

Atomic structure is a fundamental concept in both chemistry and physics. In physics, understanding the structure of atoms and their subatomic particles is crucial in explaining the behavior of matter and energy. The properties of atoms, such as their mass, charge, and energy levels, determine how they interact with each other and with external forces. This knowledge is essential in understanding phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and chemical reactions.

3. How does the periodic table relate to physics?

The periodic table, which organizes elements based on their atomic structure, is a valuable tool in physics. It allows us to predict the properties and behavior of elements based on their position in the table. In physics, the periodic table is used to explain the properties of elements in terms of their electron configurations, which determine their chemical and physical properties. The periodic table is also used to identify patterns and trends in the properties of elements, aiding in the development of theories and models in physics.

4. Why is the study of chemical reactions important in physics?

Chemical reactions involve the breaking and formation of chemical bonds, which involves the transfer or sharing of electrons between atoms. This behavior of electrons is governed by the laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and the laws of thermodynamics. Understanding chemical reactions is essential in areas of physics such as quantum mechanics, electrochemistry, and materials science, where the behavior of atoms and molecules is crucial.

5. How does the concept of energy conservation apply to chemistry and physics?

The law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another, applies to both chemistry and physics. In chemistry, energy is involved in chemical reactions that result in the breaking and formation of bonds. In physics, energy is a fundamental quantity that is involved in all physical processes, from simple motion to complex interactions between particles. Understanding energy conservation is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of matter and energy in both chemistry and physics.