Back to school after 2 decades

• Thread starter poreguppy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the speaker left the military a few years ago and is now looking to start over. They have a background in electrical theory and desire a minor in physics to help with their interest in nano tech and condensed matter. They are considering taking courses to improve their math skills and are looking for a physics or applied physics major.
poreguppy
so.. err A few years back I left the military service, since I have wanted to start over so to speak.

I have a large background in electrical theory and working with radios, avionics systems and radar.

I am not good at math calculation though I understad most math concepts.

I wish for a minor in physics for gp(it fascinates me) and also I would like to help work in the field of nano tech and condensed matter as practical research for the devlopepment of power gereration and storage.

What kinda major am I looking for. Also would it be worth my time to take some starter course's offered by a local community collages for areas in math I suck in?

getting old at upper mid 30s so I plan to start this year.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went back to physics graduate school in my 50's about 1-1/2 years ago, so it can be done. I definitely advise you to do whatever you can to upgrade your math skills, including courses at community college, online courses, or just self-study online. It sounds like a physics or applied physics major is what you're looking for.

1. How can I cope with the changes in education after being out of school for 2 decades?

Coping with the changes in education after a long break can be challenging. It is important to take it slow and not overwhelm yourself. Start by setting realistic goals and creating a study schedule. Seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources if needed. Stay organized and be open to learning new things.

2. Will I be able to keep up with the younger students in my class?

Age should not be a barrier to learning. It is natural to feel self-conscious about being older than your classmates, but remember that everyone has their own unique learning journey. Focus on your own progress and don't compare yourself to others. Embrace your life experience and use it to your advantage in your studies.

3. How do I balance school with my other responsibilities?

Returning to school after 2 decades can be overwhelming, especially if you have other responsibilities such as a job or family. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Set aside specific study hours and communicate with your loved ones about your schedule. Don't be afraid to ask for support and delegate tasks when needed.

4. What can I expect from the technology used in the classroom?

The use of technology in education has significantly increased in the past two decades. You can expect to use computers, tablets, and other devices for research, assignments, and online learning platforms. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are not familiar with a certain technology, as there are often resources available to assist you.

5. Are there any tips for adjusting to the social aspect of being back in school?

Returning to school after a long break can also mean adjusting to the social aspect of being in a classroom again. It is important to be open to making new connections and building relationships with your classmates. Joining study groups or clubs can also help you feel more connected to the school community. Remember to be yourself and don't be afraid to reach out to others for support.