Fourier coefficients of cos(4πt)

In fact, when I am teaching Fourier Series, I show the students how to do this for all the standard Fourier Series functions, and I also assign a couple of problems where the students have to find the coefficients using integration. In summary, the continuous time signal x(t) = cos(4πt) with a fundamental period of T=1/2 can be represented by a Fourier Series with nonzero coefficients a_1 = a_-1 = 1/2. The integration for the coefficients results in a form of 0, which can be simplified using Euler's formula for cos(4πt). This shows that the trigonometric function cos(4πt) can also be represented by its own (finite) Fourier Series,
Jncik

Homework Statement

suppose that we have the continuous time signal

x(t) = cos(4πt) with fundamental period of T=1/2

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{k} = \frac{1}{T} \int_{T}{}x(t)e^{-j\omega_{0}kt}dt[/tex]

where [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] is obviously [tex]\frac{2\pi}{1/2} = 4\pi[/tex]

well the problem is that this integration becomes

[tex]
a_{k} = \frac{1}{T} \int_{T}{}x(t)e^{-j\omega_{0}kt}dt =
2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}cos(4 \pi t)e^{-j4 \pi kt}dt=
...=0
[/tex]

I find as a result 0, the calculation is complicated but using wolfram alpha's calculator I have the same result

here is the picture

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6729/36554157.gif

as you can see

we have

[tex] 1 - e^{-2\pi j k} = 1 - ( cos(2\pi k) - jsin(2\pi k)) = 1 - 1 = 0[/tex]

hence it must be 0
now my book says the following

The nonzero FS coefficients of x(t) are [tex]a_{1} = a_{-1} = 1/2 [/tex]

but I have 0 as a result, and if I plug 1 or -1 I will get 0 again, what's wrong here?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jncik! :smile:

πj212 + π = πj2(-1)2 + π = 0 :wink:

thanks tiny-tim, I didn't notice that :)

And the numerator is 0 also, giving an indeterminate form. You can best see the problem if you calculate the sine/cosine coefficients. You will see that the integrals for an and bn have a different form when n = 1, requiring a separate and easier integration. If you work out the complicated formulas for other n and plug n = 1 in those answers, you will get the same of indeterminate answer.

LCKurtz said:
And the numerator is 0 also, giving an indeterminate form. You can best see the problem if you calculate the sine/cosine coefficients. You will see that the integrals for an and bn have a different form when n = 1, requiring a separate and easier integration. If you work out the complicated formulas for other n and plug n = 1 in those answers, you will get the same of indeterminate answer.

thanks what I did for n = 1 first I tried to find out the result using the integration but I used these two formulas

[tex]2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}cos(4 \pi t)e^{-4 \pi t} dt = 2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}cos(4 \pi t)cos(4 \pi t) dt - 2j\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}cos(4 \pi t)sin(4 \pi t) dt = ... [/tex]

because as you said it wouldn't work using just the integration without expanding the form of [tex]e^{-j 4 \pi t} [/tex]

sadly our professor doesn't want the trigonometric expansion but prefers the series with the e^...

after solving this I thought it would be better if I just used Euler's formula about the cos(4πt)

it is known that

[tex] cos(4\pi t) = \frac{e^{j 4 \pi t} + e^{-j 4 \pi t}}{2} [/tex]

hence the coefficients are [tex]a_{1} = a_{-1} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

but I am not sure if this was what the exercise wanted cause this solution takes less than 5 seconds to finish

Jncik said:
… but I am not sure if this was what the exercise wanted cause this solution takes less than 5 seconds to finish

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ruined your day, did it? :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ruined your day, did it? :rolleyes:

haha yes :p :rofl:

Jncik said:
after solving this I thought it would be better if I just used Euler's formula about the cos(4πt)(

it is known that

[tex] cos(4\pi t) = \frac{e^{j 4 \pi t} + e^{-j 4 \pi t}}{2} [/tex]

hence the coefficients are [tex]a_{1} = a_{-1} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

but I am not sure if this was what the exercise wanted cause this solution takes less than 5 seconds to finish

On a quiz I would expect that is exactly what the professor wanted. The point being for the student to recognize that trig functions like that are their own (finite) Fourier Series.

1. What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are the numerical values that represent the amplitude and phase of each frequency component in a periodic signal, as obtained through the Fourier series. They are used to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components.

2. How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the signal over one period and multiplying it by the corresponding trigonometric function. This process is repeated for each frequency component to obtain the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of the cosine function in Fourier coefficients?

The cosine function is one of the trigonometric functions used in the Fourier series formula to calculate the coefficients. It represents the even component of a signal, while the sine function represents the odd component. In the case of cos(4πt), the coefficient represents the amplitude of the signal with a frequency of 4 cycles per period.

4. How do Fourier coefficients change with different frequencies?

The values of Fourier coefficients change with different frequencies, as each frequency component contributes a different amount to the overall signal. Higher frequencies tend to have smaller coefficients, while lower frequencies have larger coefficients. This can be seen in the Fourier series formula, where the coefficient is inversely proportional to the frequency.

5. Can Fourier coefficients be used to reconstruct a signal?

Yes, Fourier coefficients can be used to reconstruct a signal by taking the sum of all the frequency components with their corresponding coefficients. This process is known as Fourier synthesis and is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals.