Register to reply

Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

Share this thread:
americast
Apr1-13, 12:44 AM
P: 23
This is driving me insane:-----

What is the difference between a combustible substance and a supporter of combustion?

Thanx in advance...
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
Traxfam
Apr7-13, 06:57 PM
P: 7
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.
americast
Apr8-13, 01:18 PM
Quote Quote by Traxfam View Post
A combustible substance is something that burns a supporter of combustion is an oxidizer like O2.
Thanx.... I had already got the answer from a chemistry forum. Physics forums was a little too late... :D

chemisttree
Apr8-13, 09:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Difference between combustible substance and a supporter of combustion

So what did you find? I'm always interested in unimportant chemistry trivia.
americast
Apr9-13, 12:56 PM
The same thing, the one that oxidises is the combustible substance and the one that gets reduced in the supporter of combustion. I dont think its unimportant. None of my books could explain this simple thing...
NascentOxygen
Apr19-13, 08:25 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,496
An interesting demonstration would be to reverse the normal combustion arrangement.

A thought experiment only....don't try it in real life.

Have a room filled with pure methane or natural gas, and introduce into it a Bunsen burner fed with no gas but just compressed air. Light the Bunsen with an electric spark, and see whether you can boil a beaker of water over this air flame.

Register to reply