Electrolysis of brine produced white stuff.

In summary, the conversation is about a person's experiment to make hydrogen from sodium hydroxide, aluminum, and water through electrolysis. They noticed a build-up of a hard white substance around the sellotape on the hydrogen electrode and are questioning whether it is sodium hydroxide or something else. The person also mentions the possibility of producing chlorine and obtaining sodium hydroxide through electrolyzing a NaCl solution.
Fezziwig
As a casual experiment I was seeing whether I could make hydrogen from sodium hydroxide, aluminium and water. Rather than buy sodium hydroxide or go through a load of cleaning products to find it, I thought it would be much more fun to produce it through electrolysis.

I set it up, and the electrolysis was going very well. After about 20 minutes I noticed a small build up of a hard white substance around the sellotape on the hydrogen electrode. Is it sodium hydroxide or is it more likely to be something to do with the sellotape (or indeed somthing else)?

Thanks,
Rowan.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What were you electrolyzing and what are your electrode materials?

Fezziwig said:
I was seeing whether I could make hydrogen from sodium hydroxide, aluminium and water. Rather than buy sodium hydroxide or go through a load of cleaning products to find it, I thought it would be much more fun to produce it through electrolysis.

Sodium hydroxide and Al produce hydrogen in a direct reaction, no need for electrolysis.

Borek said:
Sodium hydroxide and Al produce hydrogen in a direct reaction, no need for electrolysis.

I think he's trying to make sodium hydroxide by electrolysis. (Of NaCL?)

Electrolyzing a NaCL solution can produce some chlorine at the positive electrode, and if you keep this up for very long you might lose nearly all of the chlorine and get sodium hydroxide. You probably need to refill the solution many times, and should do this with distilled water, or you might get Calcium and- or Magnesiumhydroxide at the negative electrode.

Fezziwig said:
I was seeing whether I could make hydrogen

willem2 said:
I think he's trying to make sodium hydroxide

Both OH- and hydrogen are produced in the same reaction. You can't have one without the other.

1. What is the white stuff produced during electrolysis of brine?

The white stuff produced during electrolysis of brine is a mixture of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and chlorine gas (Cl2). This mixture is commonly known as sodium hypochlorite, or bleach.

2. How is the white stuff formed during electrolysis of brine?

The white stuff is formed when an electric current is passed through a solution of brine (sodium chloride, or NaCl, dissolved in water). This causes the sodium and chloride ions to separate, and the chlorine ions combine to form chlorine gas while the sodium ions react with water to form sodium hydroxide. The sodium hydroxide and chlorine gas then combine to form the white substance.

3. What are the uses of the white stuff produced during electrolysis of brine?

The white stuff, or sodium hypochlorite, has many uses in industries and households. It is commonly used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent, and can also be used in water treatment, textile production, and paper production.

4. Can the white stuff produced during electrolysis of brine be harmful?

Yes, the white stuff can be harmful if handled improperly or in large quantities. Sodium hypochlorite is a corrosive substance and can cause irritation or burns to the skin and eyes. It is important to handle and store it safely and use proper protective equipment when working with it.

5. Is the production of the white stuff through electrolysis of brine an environmentally friendly process?

The production of the white stuff through electrolysis of brine is generally considered to be more environmentally friendly compared to other methods of producing bleach. This is because it does not involve the use of harsh chemicals and does not produce harmful by-products. However, proper disposal of the by-products is still important to prevent any negative impact on the environment.