Load bearing of 2 alluminum square tubing

In summary, the conversation discusses building a load bearing beam out of 2" aluminum tubing with 1/8" walls. The poster is unsure of the weight the beam could bear before bending and is seeking help with the math involved. The conversation also touches on building a bike frame using the beam and concerns about potential injuries. Ultimately, it is decided that this topic is not suitable for discussion on the forum.
sirhart
load bearing of 2" alluminum square tubing

im trying to build a load bearing beam out of 2" alluminum tubing 1/8 in walls can anyone tell me the weight a length 8feet long could bear befor bending its aa6061 T6 what would it hold befor bending? keep in mind math is not my cup of tea lol

Engineering news on Phys.org

forgot to mention its square tubing aa6061 T6 2" square 1/8 in walled

For a simply-supported beam subjected to static loading, the allowable midspan point load would be P = 2100 N.

i apriciate the help but like i said befor i don't even know what P stands for me and math are sworn enemies lol. but thanks for the help

Well, there are many different types of loads that could be supported...and in so many different fashions.

Is this like a structural beam which is pretty much rigidly supported at two ends and has a point load in the middle (or at multiple spans)? Is it a cantilever? These are all questions you'll have to answer before you can do the math.

See here for a basic mathematical explanation of everything you'd want to know about beams.

See http://www.aaronklapheck.com/Downloads/Engr112_Handouts/ENGR112%20Solutions/05-01ChapGere[1].pdf for good examples with equations and solutions.

Click here for just the formulas for different cases.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
sirhart: P in post 3 is the applied, transverse, midspan point load as shown http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1302/beam01.png . Let us know if this is not what you were asking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

basicly i am atempting to build a 4 tired bike frame since my knee is no longer strong enulf to catch me on a normal bike i thought i might put an extra seat on it for my 7 year old daughter to come along. i needed the frame to span about 6 feet from axle to axle 8 feet in all. was hoping to use aluminum for weight issues but may have to use steal. just trying to figure if it would of bend with two people riding it. didnt want to get hurt riding along and pop I am on the ground lol

sirhart said:
im trying to build a load bearing beam out of 2" alluminum tubing 1/8 in walls can anyone tell me the weight a length 8feet long could bear befor bending its aa6061 T6 what would it hold befor bending? keep in mind math is not my cup of tea lol

sirhart said:
basicly i am atempting to build a 4 tired bike frame since my knee is no longer strong enulf to catch me on a normal bike i thought i might put an extra seat on it for my 7 year old daughter to come along. i needed the frame to span about 6 feet from axle to axle 8 feet in all. was hoping to use aluminum for weight issues but may have to use steal. just trying to figure if it would of bend with two people riding it. didnt want to get hurt riding along and pop I am on the ground lol

You are asking for advice on how to build something that could get your daughter hurt if it's not done correctly? You didn't even specifiy early on that this was going to be a dynamic load, with peak loads significantly above the static load (potholes)!

Sorry, this is not a good subject for the PF. Thread is closed.

1. What is the maximum weight that 2 alluminum square tubing can bear?

The maximum weight that 2 alluminum square tubing can bear depends on various factors such as the grade and thickness of the tubing, the distance between supports, and the method of support. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate weight capacity for your specific application.

2. How do I calculate the load bearing capacity of 2 alluminum square tubing?

The load bearing capacity of 2 alluminum square tubing can be calculated by using engineering formulas that take into account the dimensions and properties of the tubing, as well as the type of load and support. It is recommended to consult with a structural engineer for accurate calculations.

3. Can 2 alluminum square tubing be used for structural support?

Yes, 2 alluminum square tubing can be used for structural support in various applications such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. However, the design and installation must adhere to specific codes and regulations to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

4. Is 2 alluminum square tubing stronger than other materials?

In general, alluminum square tubing is stronger and more lightweight than other materials such as steel and wood. However, the strength of the tubing can vary depending on the grade and thickness. It is important to consider the specific application and intended load when choosing the appropriate material.

5. How do I ensure the load bearing of 2 alluminum square tubing is safe?

To ensure the safety of 2 alluminum square tubing, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for installation and use, and to adhere to local building codes and regulations. It is also recommended to consult with a structural engineer for a professional assessment and to address any potential safety concerns.