A general math theory on the quantum harmonic oscillator?

In summary, the discussion focuses on the quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator and the two methods used to find solutions to the differential equation. The first method involves using a serial solution for psi, but this does not yield the desired results. The second method involves trying a solution in the form of f(x)e^{-y^2}, which leads to a nice family of solutions. The motivation behind this substitution is to isolate the general behavior of the solution at infinite values of u and simplify the remaining series. Additionally, the equation can be split into two separate equations, one with alpha but not x^2 and one with x^2 but not alpha, which provides insight into the solution methods.
tim_lou
looking at the quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator, one has the differential equation in the form:
[tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{du^2}+(\alpha-u^2)\psi=0[/tex]

when a person who doesn't know any physics sees the equation, he will try a serial solution for psi, and he will find a solution with some recursive relations on the coefficients.

letting psi be
[tex]\sum_i a_i y^i[/tex]

one gets the recursive relations:
[tex]a_{i+2}=\frac{\alpha a_i-a_{i-2}}{(i+2)(i+1)}[/tex]

but this gets no where near the usual solutions we want in physics.

When the solution method is presented in a physics book, one sees the tag
"trying a solution in the form"
[tex]f(x)e^{-y^2}[/tex]
and get another second order differential equations. At first glance, it seems that nothing is gained using this substitution, but it turns out that the series must terminated if psi is to vanishes at both infinities and we get a nice family of solutions (in closed forms too).

What exactly is the motivation behind this? is this just a elegant guess? or is there some general mathematical theory dealing with equations like these (with vanishing psi at both infinities)?

I just would like to get more information on this matter... and perhaps someone can explain how the first method fail and if anything can be done to patch things up so that the first method yield the same result with the substitution method.

Physics news on Phys.org
After the initial failure with the series they try to evaluate the behavior of the solution for u-> +/- infinity. For such values of u, you can ignore alpha in the differential equation. If you make Mathematica solve the differential equation without alpha (try it), you will get a general solution with two integration constants. The first constant multiplies a Bessel function that goes to infinity when u-> +/- infinity. That part of the solution blows up at infinity and is dropped since it is not integrable. The second integration constant multiplies a Hermite polinomial times Exp(-u^2 / 2). That part of the solution goes to zero for u-> +/- infinity and is physically acceptable.

The Exp(-u^2 / 2) is an infinite series in u giving the general behavior of the solution at infinite u. There is always hope that isolating the general behavior, you will get simpler series for the remainder which is exactly what happens in this case - that's why the series left is finite.

Last edited:
A more lowbrow observation is "degree" counting: because of the x^2 term on psi, you need the second derivative of psi to have degree two greater than psi. The simplest way I can think of to do that is to have psi look something like e^f(x), where f is a quadratic polynomial.

Incidentally, you can split the equation into the sum of two equations:
one has alpha but not x^2
one has x^2 but not alpha

thanks for the help. Indeed the substitution of e^x2 gets rid of the (x^2-alpha) term. Plus, canceling that term makes the coefficients of each derivatives have the same order, giving a nicer recursion. The motivation becomes clear now.

1. What is the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes a particle moving in a potential energy well, similar to a mass on a spring. It is a fundamental model used in various fields of physics, including quantum chemistry and quantum field theory.

2. How does the quantum harmonic oscillator differ from the classical harmonic oscillator?

The classical harmonic oscillator follows the laws of classical mechanics, while the quantum harmonic oscillator follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that the energy levels of the quantum harmonic oscillator are quantized, and the particle can only have certain discrete energy values. Additionally, the quantum harmonic oscillator can exhibit phenomena such as tunneling and zero-point energy, which are not present in the classical system.

3. What is the significance of the quantum harmonic oscillator in physics?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is significant because it provides a simple yet powerful model for understanding various physical systems and phenomena. It is used in many fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, solid-state physics, and quantum optics. It also serves as a building block for more complex quantum systems and theories.

4. How is the quantum harmonic oscillator described mathematically?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes how the wave function of the system evolves over time. The equation can be solved exactly for the quantum harmonic oscillator, resulting in a discrete set of energy levels and corresponding wave functions. The mathematical description also involves operators such as the Hamiltonian and creation and annihilation operators.

5. What are some real-world applications of the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator has many real-world applications, including in the study of chemical bonding, the behavior of atoms and molecules, and the properties of solids. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum sensors. Additionally, the quantum harmonic oscillator is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems at the nanoscale, where quantum effects become significant.