Quantum oscillator algebra help

In summary, the two steps you are having trouble with are:1. Substituting the equation for y into the Schrödinger equation2. Working out the general solution for y
Vol
Hi. I am working on the quantum harmonic oscillator Schrodinger's equation and need help with the algebra or whatever it is I am missing. Here are the 2 steps I can't understand:

d^2psi/dx^2 + (2mE/h^2 - m^2w^2/h^2 * x^2)psi = 0

You substitute this into it:

y = sqrt(mw/h)*x

I don't understand how you get

d^2psi(y)/dy^2 + (2E/hw - y^2)psi(y) = 0

I get a mw/h in front of the 2nd term I can't get rid of. If I multiply the whole thing with h/mw then I get a h/mw in front of the first term I can't get rid of. What am I doing wrong? Is it my bad algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way I can preview how it looks before I post it? I clicked preview but it is still in code form.

d^2

\frac d^2{x}

testing Latex

Why doesn't Latex work?
Help.

Vol said:
Why doesn't Latex work?

Because you have to enclose it in either double dollar signs (if it's all in its own separate paragraph/equation, no text) or double hash symbols (if it's in line with text).

Here is how the latter works: ##d^2##. There are double hash marks on either side of the d^2 there.

Here is how the former works:

$$
\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}
$$

There are double dollar signs around the fraction there.

PeterDonis said:
you have to enclose it in either double dollar signs (if it's all in its own separate paragraph/equation, no text) or double hash symbols (if it's in line with text).

The section in the help article on "Delimiting your LaTeX code" explains this in more detail.

Vol said:
Hi. I am working on the quantum harmonic oscillator Schrodinger's equation and need help with the algebra or whatever it is I am missing. Here are the 2 steps I can't understand:

d^2psi/dx^2 + (2mE/h^2 - m^2w^2/h^2 * x^2)psi = 0

You substitute this into it:

y = sqrt(mw/h)*x

So you are replacing ##x## by ##y \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}## (isn't that prettier?). But you also have to replace ##\frac{d}{dx}## by ##\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} \frac{d}{dy}##. Did you do both replacements?

Why do we have to replace ##\frac d {dx}## by ##\sqrt \frac {mw} h## ##\frac d {dy}## ? I can see we are changing from dx to dy because we are substituting in ##y\sqrt\frac h {mw}## for x? But where does ##\sqrt \frac {mw} h## come from? Is it the chain rule?

Vol said:
Why do we have to replace ##\frac d {dx}## by ##\sqrt \frac {mw} h## ##\frac d {dy}## ? I can see we are changing from dx to dy because we are substituting in ##y\sqrt\frac h {mw}## for x? But where does ##\sqrt \frac {mw} h## come from? Is it the chain rule?

Yes. By the chain rule, ##\frac{d\psi}{dx} = \frac{d\psi}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}##

If ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}} y##, then ##y = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x##. So ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}##

So ##\frac{d\psi}{dx} = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} \frac{d\psi}{dy}##

stevendaryl said:
Yes. By the chain rule, ##\frac{d\psi}{dx} = \frac{d\psi}{dy} \frac{
stevendaryl said:
Yes. By the chain rule, ##\frac{d\psi}{dx} = \frac{d\psi}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}##

If ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}} y##, then ##y = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} x##. So ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}##

So ##\frac{d\psi}{dx} = \sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}} \frac{d\psi}{dy}##

Thanks. I get it now. Then you cancel out all the mw/h with h/mw. I will be back with questions about the next step for a series solution.

OK, so I get:
##\frac {d^2\Psi(y)} {dy^2} + (\frac {2E} {hw} - y^2)\Psi(y) = 0##
Then,
##\Psi(y) = u(y)e^{\frac {-y^2}{2}}## is the general solution.
Totally lost. Where did ##\frac{-y^2}2## come from?

Last edited:
Anybody? Am I missing something altogether?

Vol said:
Then,
##\Psi(y) = u(y)e^{\frac {-y^2}{2}}## is the general solution.

How did you find this?

Vol said:
Totally lost. Where did ##\frac{-y^2}{2}## come from?

Have you tried plugging the general solution into the differential equation?

That is exactly my point. Looking at the given equation and seeing that ##\frac {2E} {hw}## is negligible compared to ##y^2## you are supposed to guess the general solution... that ##\Psi(y)## will be as ##e^{\frac {-y^2} 2}##. Totally lost. Here is where I found this problem:

physics.gmu.edu/~dmaria/590%20Web%20Page/public_html/qm_topics/harmonic/

Vol said:
Looking at the given equation and seeing that ##\frac {2E} {hw}## is negligible compared to ##y^2## you are supposed to guess the general solution... that ##\Psi(y)## will be as ##e^{\frac {-y^2} 2}##.

Once again: have you tried plugging ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## into the differential equation? (Hint: to get the equation to work you will not be able to ignore the ##2E / h w## term.)

Vol said:
Here is where I found this problem:

physics.gmu.edu/~dmaria/590%20Web%20Page/public_html/qm_topics/harmonic/

This reference might not be entirely reliable. It looks like someone's personal resource, not a textbook or peer-reviewed paper.

PeterDonis said:
have you tried plugging ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## into the differential equation? (Hint: to get the equation to work you will not be able to ignore the ##2E / h w## term.)

Actually, I mis-phrased this. I should have said that you will not be able to get ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## to be a solution of the differential equation without the ##2E / h w## term; i.e, it is not a solution of ##d^2 \Psi / dy^2 - y^2 \Psi = 0##. So I am dubious about the article's claim that you can "guess" ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## by ignoring the ##2E / h w## term for large ##y##. (Note that in your statement of what the article said, you left out the "for large ##y##" qualifier.)

PeterDonis said:
Actually, I mis-phrased this. I should have said that you will not be able to get ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## to be a solution of the differential equation without the ##2E / h w## term; i.e, it is not a solution of ##d^2 \Psi / dy^2 - y^2 \Psi = 0##. So I am dubious about the article's claim that you can "guess" ##\Psi(y) = e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## by ignoring the ##2E / h w## term for large ##y##. (Note that in your statement of what the article said, you left out the "for large ##y##" qualifier.)
Yikes. But it is from a university site. Now I am really confused. But where did ##e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## come from? How did he come up with that guess?

Last edited:
Vol said:
Yikes. But it is from a university site. Now I am really confused. But where did ##e^{\frac{-y^2}{2}}## come from?

It's just a guess. If you let ##\Psi_0(y) = e^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}##, then

##\frac{d\Psi_0}{dy} = -y \Psi_0##
##\frac{d^2 \Psi_0}{dy^2} = (y^2 - 1) \Psi_0##

So ##\frac{d^2 \Psi_0}{dy^2} + (\frac{2E}{\hbar \omega} - y^2) \Psi_0 = (\frac{2E}{\hbar \omega} - 1) \Psi_0##

So ##\Psi_0## solves the equation when ##E = \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega##.

Vol said:
it is from a university site

It's someone's personal page provided by their university. Again, it's not a textbook or peer-reviewed paper.

Oh, I see. He was just thinking backwards. Thanks.

Oh geesh! I thought it was by a mathematician. Well, I now know better.

Related to Quantum oscillator algebra help

1. What is quantum oscillator algebra?

Quantum oscillator algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum harmonic oscillators, which are systems that exhibit periodic motion and energy quantization. It involves using operators and their corresponding eigenstates to represent physical observables and calculate probabilities in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is quantum oscillator algebra important?

Quantum oscillator algebra is important because it allows us to accurately model and understand the behavior of quantum systems, which play a crucial role in many areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and quantum information processing. It also helps us solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is quantum oscillator algebra different from classical oscillator algebra?

Quantum oscillator algebra differs from classical oscillator algebra in several ways. In classical mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle can take on any value, while in quantum mechanics, these quantities are represented by operators that can only take on discrete values. Additionally, in quantum mechanics, the commutator between the position and momentum operators is non-zero, while it is zero in classical mechanics.

4. What are some common applications of quantum oscillator algebra?

Quantum oscillator algebra has various applications in different fields. In quantum chemistry, it is used to study the behavior of molecules and chemical reactions. In quantum optics, it helps us understand the properties of light and its interactions with matter. It is also used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of solid-state systems, such as crystals and semiconductors.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with quantum oscillator algebra?

One limitation of quantum oscillator algebra is that it only applies to systems that can be described by harmonic oscillators. Other types of systems, such as anharmonic oscillators, require different mathematical approaches. Additionally, quantum oscillator algebra can become challenging to apply in systems with many interacting particles, making it necessary to use approximations and numerical methods.