Fourier Transforms, Momentum and Position

In summary: For example, the wave function of a free particle (like a photon) is a plane wave exp(ikx) in momentum space, while it is a localized wave packet in position space. In summary, the Fourier transform in quantum mechanics allows us to express the same object, such as the wave function, in both position and momentum space. This is because there is a 1-1 correspondence between a function and its Fourier transform. The choice of which space to use depends on the problem at hand, with some problems being better described in position space and others in momentum space.
r16
In quantum mechanics, why does the Fourier transform

[tex] f(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty F(k) e^{ikx}dk [/tex]
represent position and

[tex]F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) e^{-ikx} dx [/tex]
represent momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
you must have something given to you, e.g. given that f(x) is the position wavefunction, then it's Fourier transform is the momenum wavefunction. It just follows since p = - i hbar d/dx

<x'|p|p'> = -i h d/dx' <x'|p'>

p'<x'|p'> = -i h d/dx' <x'|p'>

solve this differential equation

<x'|p'> = N exp { i p' x' /h }

now look at

psi_a(x') = <x'|a> = (insert completeness realtion ) = integral dp' <x'|p'><p'|a>

psi_a(x') = N integral dp' exp { i p' x' /h } phi_a(p')

determine the normalization N using the delta function:

delta(x' - x'') = N^2 integral dp' exp { i p'( x' - x'') /h }

we get N = 1/sqrt(2 pi h)

I'm only starting out in Quantum Mechanics (chapter 2 of the griffiths book) and I am not familiar with the notation

malawi_glenn said:
<x'|p|p'> = -i h d/dx' <x'|p'>

p'<x'|p'> = -i h d/dx' <x'|p'>

I'm sure ill get to it later on in the book. Until then, could you explain it?

you might want to look up "bra - ket" notation or "dirac notation" in Griffiths book, then I can explain if you don't understand, but basically:

p|p'> = "p operator on p-eigenstate with momentum p' " = p'|p'> (I denote operator with the letter and eigenvalues with prime"

since p = -i h d/dx, we can do the same operation on the right hand side, but with <x'|p'> as just an arbitrary function of x' and p'

The basic idea is that, without getting too much into math behind it;

|a'> is a vector in hilbert space, it denotes the state with quantun number a'

a|a'> = a'|a>

ok?

these are called "kets"

now the dual vector, called "bra":

<a'|

we can "think" of this as the ket's beeing column vectors and bra's as row vectors:

<a''|a'> is then a number

ok, this was assuming that a',a'' are discrete quantum numbers

now, for x and p, which are continuous, we can use the same notation, but we can not imagine/represent them as discrete vectors as we do in introductory linear algebra.

Please, also check out this recent thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=318899

Good Luck, have fun

r16 -> It's not that, say, "f(x) represent position" and its FT F(k) "represent momentum". What you do have is that you can express the same object, like the wave function, both in "position space" (i.e. as a function of x, psi(x)) or in "momentum space" (as a function of k, psi(k)). There is a 1-1 correspondence between a function and its FT and they contain the same information. But some problems are better described in position space and others in momentum space.

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to decompose a complex function into simpler sinusoidal components. It is used to convert a signal from its original domain (time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. How is a Fourier Transform used in signal processing?

A Fourier Transform is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. It can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, extract information from a signal, and compress data. It is also widely used in image processing and data compression.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and position in Fourier Transforms?

In Fourier Transforms, the momentum and position of a particle are considered conjugate variables. This means that if we know the position of a particle, we can calculate its momentum, and vice versa. In the Fourier Transform, the momentum of a particle is represented by the frequency of the sinusoidal components, while the position is represented by the amplitude of these components.

4. Can Fourier Transforms be applied to both continuous and discrete signals?

Yes, Fourier Transforms can be applied to both continuous and discrete signals. The continuous Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals, while the discrete Fourier Transform is used for discrete signals, such as digital signals. The discrete Fourier Transform is also commonly used in computer algorithms for signal processing.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier Transforms?

Fourier Transforms have many real-world applications, including image and sound processing, data compression, signal analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and understand complex systems.