Troubleshooting Simultaneous Equations with Trigonometric Functions on TI-89

In summary, the individual is having trouble with the SOLVE() function on their TI-89 calculator when solving simultaneous equations involving trigonometric functions. They were able to successfully solve the problem by breaking it up into two free body diagrams and inputting the correct equations, leading to the correct answers of BA=80.7 lb, CD=65.9 lb, CB=57.1 lb, and Theta=2.95 degrees. The individual's professor has verified that their equations were correct.
dlikes

Homework Statement

My problem is getting the SOLVE() function to work correctly. I have used it plenty of times in the past, but when I put in these 4 equations to solve simultaneously, it gives me the wrong answers. My Professor said that TI-89's sometimes have problems when having to solve trig functions, like solving for theta, gamma, phi, etc., inside of simultaneous equations.

The problem had me break it up into 2 Free Body Diagrams.

here are the exact 4 equations that I have:

1st free body Diagram:
Sum of Forces in the X direction:
CB*cos(theta)-CD*cos(30)=0
Sum of Forces in the Y direction:
-CB*sin(theta)+CD*sin(30)-30=0

2nd free body diagram:
Sum of forces in X direction:
-CB*cos(theta)+BA*cos(45)=0
Sum of forces in Y direction:
CB*sin(theta)+BA*sin(45)-60=0

The Variables I have to solve are:CD,CB,BA,Theta.
The correct answers are:
BA=80.7 lb
CD=65.9 lb
CB=57.1 lb
Theta=2.95 degrees.

The Professor verified that my equations were right. Please if anyone could help me with this, it would seriously be a breakthrough for me. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
OK, i must have punched something in wrong, because it worked out perfectly this last time I tried it.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no net torque. This means the object will remain stationary or in a constant state of motion.

2. How do I use my TI-89 to solve static equilibrium problems?

To solve static equilibrium problems using your TI-89, you can use the built-in "solve" function or create a system of equations using the "solve" and "solvef" functions. You can also use the "solve" function in conjunction with the "minimize" or "maximize" functions to find the smallest or largest value of a variable.

3. Can the TI-89 solve for multiple unknowns in a static equilibrium problem?

Yes, the "solve" function on the TI-89 can solve for multiple unknowns in a static equilibrium problem. However, you will need to input equations that relate these unknowns to each other in order to solve the system of equations.

4. Can the TI-89 solve for non-right triangle static equilibrium problems?

Yes, the TI-89 can solve for non-right triangle static equilibrium problems using the "solve" and "solvef" functions. These functions allow you to input trigonometric functions and solve for unknown variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the TI-89 for static equilibrium problems?

While the TI-89 is a powerful tool for solving static equilibrium problems, it does have its limitations. It may not be able to solve very complex problems with multiple unknowns or non-linear equations. It is always important to double check your answers and use common sense when solving problems with the TI-89.