The original definition of a mile

• Thread starter chronon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the mile is a unit of measurement that originated from the distance a Roman soldier could cover with 1000 steps. However, this definition has a problem as the average person's step is about 2.5 feet, resulting in only about half a mile. To resolve this issue, the pace was introduced as the fundamental unit of measurement, with 1000 paces being approximately equal to a mile. The pace was measured from left foot to left foot, which is twice the length of what most people consider a "pace." This means that it wouldn't take a very large soldier for the distance to be around 5.3 feet. There is some debate about the exact meaning of "mille pacem" but it
chronon
The mile comes from the distance a Roman soldier covered with 1000 steps.

To get the decimal point in the right place you just need to find a very big Roman soldier

Physics news on Phys.org
This post originally appeared in a now locked TD thread. I, however, love such bits of totally useless trivia.

As stated this definition has a problem. The average persons STEP is about 2.5ft, this would get you about .5 miles. The resolution to this is that when measuring distance by walking. the pace is the fundamental unit. A PACE is counted each time the right (or left) foot hits the ground. This would but 1000 paces right around 5000ft, pretty close to a mile. So when you are out for a walk, when your right foot has hit the ground 1000 times you have traveled about 1 mile. Nice to know, but counting can be a bit tedious, I guess that is what pedometers are all about.

Yup, or counting in triangle numbers :-)

HOWEVER, the "pace" in "mille pacem" ("a thousand paces" which became "mile") was measured from left foot to left foot. That is twice what you may be thinking of as a "pace". It wouldn't take a very large soldier for that to be about 5.3 feet.

Perhaps the first real evidence that roman soldiers frolicked, rather than marched.

Intersting 'tidbit'

HallsofIvy said:
HOWEVER, the "pace" in "mille pacem" ("a thousand paces" which became "mile")
I think pacem means peace as in dona nobis pacem. Roman soldiers were not terribly concerned with peace, let alone peace x 1000. Perhaps it was 1000 pieces to the mile, used as a measure of the destruction that they left behind as they marched.

AM

HallsofIvy said:
HOWEVER, the "pace" in "mille pacem" ("a thousand paces" which became "mile") was measured from left foot to left foot. That is twice what you may be thinking of as a "pace". It wouldn't take a very large soldier for that to be about 5.3 feet.
We are in tune Halls, perhaps I did not state it clearly enough, but I meant Right to right or Left to left, should be about the same. :biggrin:

Actually, you did say it clearly- I didn't read all of your response until after I wrote mine!

I count my steps as I walk every day, mostly only longer distances like from work to my car and don't do count from my desk to the coffee machine much anymore cause i know exactly how much they are...

I have been doing since i was 6 to help me start counting. I can't stand it anymore! Its driving me nutz! Its like having a song stuck in your head for 22 years! help meeeee...

Last edited:
That would only start a challenge for me to which I am sure would drive me even more insane. I have to hit my head against a wall in hopes i forget your post.

mapper said:
That would only start a challenge for me to which I am sure would drive me even more insane. I have to hit my head against a wall in hopes i forget your post.
I am a nice guy, really, deep down.
So, in order not to drive you into the asylum, I have deleted my insidious post..:smile:

1. What is the original definition of a mile?

The original definition of a mile was based on the Roman measurement of 1000 paces, or 5000 Roman feet, which was equivalent to approximately 1.48 kilometers.

2. How did the original definition of a mile change?

In 1593, Queen Elizabeth I of England standardized the mile to be 8 furlongs, or 5280 feet, which is equivalent to approximately 1.61 kilometers. This definition was later adopted by the United States in 1866.

3. Why was the original definition of a mile based on paces and feet?

During the Roman Empire, the army used the number of paces (double steps) and feet to measure distance. This measurement system was convenient and widely used, leading to the adoption of the mile as a unit of distance.

4. Was the original definition of a mile accurate?

The original definition of a mile was based on estimations and varied slightly between different regions and cultures. However, it was considered a reliable and practical measurement for everyday use.

5. How does the original definition of a mile compare to the modern definition?

The modern definition of a mile is slightly longer than the original definition. 1 mile is now equivalent to 1.609344 kilometers, making it a slightly longer distance than the original definition of 1.48 kilometers.