Wedge product in tensor notation

In summary, the wedge product is a mathematical operation denoted by the symbol ∧ that combines two tensors to form a new tensor. Its purpose is to compute the exterior product of two tensors, allowing for the calculation of quantities such as area and volume. It differs from other tensor operations in that it produces a new tensor with a higher dimension and has different properties and uses. The wedge product can also be extended to any number of tensors, resulting in the exterior algebra with various applications in mathematics and physics.
praharmitra
Is the following the definition of wedge product in tensor notation?

Let [tex] A \equiv A_i [/tex] be a matrix one form. Then
[tex]

A \wedge A \wedge A \wedge A \wedge A = \epsilon^{abcde}A_a A_b A_c A_d A_e

[/tex]?

in 5 dimensions. This question is in reference to the winding number of maps.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should write
[tex]
A \equiv A_i dx^i
[/tex]

i.e. the wedge product is defined on the basis. Then your wedge product has as components

[tex]
A_{[a}A_b A_c A_d A_{e]}
[/tex]

Related to Wedge product in tensor notation

1. What is the wedge product in tensor notation?

The wedge product is a mathematical operation that combines two tensors in a specific way to form a new tensor. It is commonly used in differential geometry and vector calculus.

2. How is the wedge product denoted in tensor notation?

The wedge product is denoted by the symbol ∧ (a caret with a dot above it) in tensor notation. For example, the wedge product of two tensors A and B would be written as A ∧ B.

3. What is the purpose of the wedge product in tensor notation?

The wedge product is used to compute the exterior product of two tensors, which is a vector that is perpendicular to both tensors. This allows for the calculation of quantities such as area, volume, and higher dimensional equivalents.

4. How does the wedge product differ from other tensor operations?

The wedge product differs from other tensor operations, such as the dot product and cross product, in that it produces a new tensor with a higher dimension. It also has different properties and uses in various mathematical fields.

5. Can the wedge product be extended to more than two tensors?

Yes, the wedge product can be extended to any number of tensors. The result is a multilinear map that takes in multiple tensors and produces a new tensor as the output. This is known as the exterior algebra and has many applications in mathematics and physics.