How to parametrize inersection of 2 paraboloids?

• Thread starter bobhi123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unit tangent, normal, and binormal vectors for the parametric equations z = x^2 and x = y^2. The attempts at solving using different parameterizations are discussed, with the second one being more promising. However, there are discrepancies between the calculated answers and the answer given in the book. The conversation ends with the request to evaluate the tangent and normal vectors at t = 1.
bobhi123

Homework Statement

I need to parametrize the equations z = x^2 and x = y^2 in order to find the unit tangent vector, normal vector, and binormal vector.

Homework Equations

z = x^2 and x = y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting x = t, so then y = [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] and then z = t^2.
Using that equation r(t) = < t, [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] , t^2> I would get completely wrong answers from the book, and if I tried another function like r(t) = < t^2 , t , t^4> , I would get different results from my previous vector. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see that your first parameterization is not going to give you the full intersection, because there won't be any points with negative y values.

The second parameterization looks more promising. Can you show your calculations for the tangent and normal vectors?

jbunniii said:
You can see that your first parameterization is not going to give you the full intersection, because there won't be any points with negative y values.

The second parameterization looks more promising. Can you show your calculations for the tangent and normal vectors?

Well I needed to find the unit tangent and normal vectors to find the normal and osculating plane equations, and the question only asked for it at the point < 1,1,1> so y isn't negative. However, with either function it looks like I am not getting the correct answer.

When I used r(t) = < t, [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] , t^2> I got that

r'(t) = <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t> and if I found the magnitude of that, I get [itex]\sqrt{}5.25[/itex]

From that, my unit tangent vector is 1/sqrt(5.25) <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t >

Something already looks wrong, so when I kept going, I obviously didn't get the right answer

bobhi123 said:
Well I needed to find the unit tangent and normal vectors to find the normal and osculating plane equations, and the question only asked for it at the point < 1,1,1> so y isn't negative. However, with either function it looks like I am not getting the correct answer.

When I used r(t) = < t, [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] , t^2> I got that

r'(t) = <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t> and if I found the magnitude of that, I get [itex]\sqrt{}5.25[/itex]

From that, my unit tangent vector is 1/sqrt(5.25) <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t >

Well, you have to evaluate this at t = 1, but aside from that, I don't see anything wrong. What answer does the book give?

By the way, I get the same answer using either of your two parameterizations.

1. How do I determine the parametric equations for the intersection of 2 paraboloids?

To determine the parametric equations for the intersection of 2 paraboloids, you can first set up the equations for both paraboloids and then solve for the variables that are common in both equations. These variables will be your parameters, and the resulting equations will give you the parametric equations for the intersection.

2. What are the key factors to consider when parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids?

When parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids, it is important to consider the orientation and shape of the paraboloids, as well as the range of values that the parameters can take. Additionally, you should also consider any symmetry or special properties of the paraboloids that can simplify the parametrization process.

3. Can you explain the concept of "overlapping" in parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids?

"Overlapping" in parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids refers to the scenario where the two paraboloids intersect at multiple points, resulting in multiple parametric equations for the same intersection. In this case, it is important to consider which parametric equation is the most suitable for the specific problem you are trying to solve.

4. Are there any alternative methods for parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids?

Yes, there are other methods for parametrizing the intersection of 2 paraboloids, such as using polar coordinates or converting the equations to cylindrical or spherical coordinates. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of paraboloids or can provide a different perspective on the intersection.

5. How can I use parametric equations for the intersection of 2 paraboloids in real-world applications?

Parametric equations for the intersection of 2 paraboloids have various applications in engineering and physics, such as in designing curved surfaces or determining the path of a projectile. These equations can also be used to model natural phenomena, such as the shape of a water droplet or the trajectory of a satellite.