Luciferase Assay: Scraping Cells - Equipment, Damage?

• Thread starter sobored
  • Start date
In summary, the protocol for a luciferase assay involves harvesting cells by scraping and using special plastic scrapers to minimize cell damage. The cells need to be lysed before the assay, so any damage from scraping will not affect the results. To determine the luciferase concentration, a standard curve can be made using the Bradford assay with BSA as the standard and measuring the OD with a luminometer. A good resource for the dual luciferase assay protocol is from Promega. The expression of luciferase is measured using a luminometer in comparison to the expression of a thymidine kinase promoter. To convert relative light units (RLU) into concentration, integration time is used.
sobored
my protocol says;

"harvest the cells by scraping for luciferase assay"

which equipment should i use to scrap my cells? won't my cells get damaged this way?

thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
There are special plastic scrapers used in tissue culture, if you scrape carefully the cells won't damage too much. And your cells need to by lysed anyway before a luciferase assay, so depending whether you are going to do wash steps after scraping it won't matter that the cells damage.

how can i determine the luciferase concentration? should i make a standard curve using Bradford assay with BSA as the standard and measure the OD of luciferase with the luminometer? after that using the standard curve to find the concentration of my luciferase samples?

any good links of luciferase assay you know? i have searched and it is not that good.

thanks.

I have used dual luciferase assay from Promega before, you can find the protocol here http://www.promega.com/tbs/tm040/tm040.html . It works really well. For tranfection I used FuGene reagent, for difficult cell types I used electroporation by Amaxa.

You measure luciferase expression with a luminometer, relative to the expression of a thymidine kinase promotor (which has a robust expression in a wide variety of cell types), thus the name 'dual luciferase'.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can i convert the relative light units (RLU) of luciferase into concentration? what does it mean with integration time? :confused:

1. What equipment is needed for a Luciferase Assay?

The equipment needed for a Luciferase Assay includes a luminometer, microcentrifuge, cell scraper, and cell culture plates.

2. How does the cell scraper affect the cells during a Luciferase Assay?

The cell scraper can potentially damage the cells during the scraping process, which may affect the accuracy of the assay results. It is important to use gentle and consistent scraping techniques to minimize damage.

3. Can the cell scraping process cause cell death?

Yes, the cell scraping process can cause cell death due to physical damage to the cells. It is important to minimize scraping time and use proper techniques to reduce the risk of cell death.

4. Should I use a specific type of cell scraper for a Luciferase Assay?

There are various types of cell scrapers available, such as plastic or metal scrapers. It is recommended to use a plastic cell scraper for a Luciferase Assay as it is less likely to damage the cells.

5. Is there a preferred method for scraping cells during a Luciferase Assay?

The method for scraping cells during a Luciferase Assay may vary depending on the specific experiment. However, it is generally recommended to use a gentle and consistent scraping motion to minimize damage to the cells.