Register to reply

Diffusion Constant

by 3=MCsq
Tags: constant, diffusion
Share this thread:
3=MCsq
Oct23-13, 06:07 PM
P: 4
Hey everybody, first post here. Having some trouble with a biophysics questions. So, the question is basically this: You have a certain number of ants, you place them in the center of a large smooth table and after 1 minute a snapshot is taken and the number of ants in 5cm concentric circles is counted.

InitialPoint. -5cm-- 2ants --5cm-- 5ants --5cm-- ... and so on.

I need to find the average displacement, the root-mean-squared displacement, and the diffusion constant. I've looked everywhere in my notes and online but all I can find is the solution for molecules using the temperature and viscosity of the fluid. I'm pretty sure the solution is a Gaussian distribution.

Maybe is there another name for average displacement, or I'm over thinking it. The diffusion constant is where I'm really stuck. I don't know what other info I can give, it's my first post so maybe so advice on the problem and my post would be the most beneficial.

THanks 3=MC
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Mycobacteria metabolism discovery may pave way for new tuberculosis drugs
Bacteria swim with whole body, not just propellers
Researchers simplify process to purify water using seed extracts
3=MCsq
Oct23-13, 08:16 PM
P: 4
I didn't realize there was a homework section. My bad. Although any direction to the solution would be appreciated. Should I deleted this thread?

3=MC

Register to reply