Tension in a string (inclined plane, pulley, friction)

In summary, the homework statement states that two blocks of mass (50kg and 100kg) are connected by a string of negligible mass. The pulley is massless and frictionless. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 50kg block and the incline is 0.250. The 100kg mass is the hanging mass. Theta is 37.0 deg.
alexpratt

Homework Statement

two blocks of mass m1 50kg and m2 100kg are connected by a string of negligible mass. The pulley is massless and frictionless. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 50kg block and the incline is 0.250

the 100kg mass is the hanging mass.
theta is 37.0 deg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

basically we did this stuff near the beginning of the year and i can't remember fully how to do the problem. I know i have to make FBDs and i have and i also know i have use F=ma but I am doing it wrong. If someone could please give me some clues i would be grateful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
well, what have you done so far?

i was trying to avoid writing it out, but if you want to see it i will

i know what I've done actually, i was looking at it as if they were in equilibrium, so this is what i had:

T-m2g = Tsin37 + m1gsin37 - m1g - um1gsin37

so T = (m1gsin37 - m1g - um1gsin37 + m2g)/sin37

so i think i know what i did wrong anyways. But i still don't know how to do it the right way.

since it says "The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 50kg block and the incline is 0.250" it would indicate that they aren't in equilibrium or it would have been useless.

alexpratt said:
i was trying to avoid writing it out, but if you want to see it i will

i know what I've done actually, i was looking at it as if they were in equilibrium, so this is what i had:

T-m2g = Tsin37 + m1gsin37 - m1g - um1gsin37

so T = (m1gsin37 - m1g - um1gsin37 + m2g)/sin37

so i think i know what i did wrong anyways. But i still don't know how to do it the right way.

Your sings are wrong.
For the LHS, you have the upwards tension + and the downwards weight -.
So the for the RHS:
* the normal force*sin is upwards, so +
* tension*sin is downwards, so -
* mg is downwards, so -
* frictional force*sin is up, so +

(At least that's if I have the same diagram as you, you might want to attach the diagram if you have it)

Also in the following step you had two terms in T (T and Tsin coming from RHS), but you only divided by sin37° to isolate T, while it should have been (1-sin37°) [although the minus is wrong as stated above].

R.

i realize that now, I am also doing a statics course where we assume everything is in equilibrium so that's what i have been doing for most of the semester. Basically i forget how to do these problems.

I think
T-mg=ma for the 100kg block
and that is the same tension to the 50kg block but you should consider friction and only the component of the weight parallel to the the incline.

FAQ: Tension in a string (inclined plane, pulley, friction)

What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is a pulling force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or rope when it is pulled at both ends. It is a reaction force that occurs when an object is being pulled in opposite directions.

How do you calculate tension in a string?

The formula for calculating tension in a string is T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object along the string.

How does tension change on an inclined plane?

On an inclined plane, the tension in a string will decrease as the angle of the incline increases. This is because the component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the incline reduces the amount of force needed to pull the object up the incline.

What role does friction play in tension?

Friction can affect tension in a string, particularly on an inclined plane. The friction force between the object and the incline can oppose the motion of the object, leading to an increase in tension in the string.

How does a pulley affect tension in a string?

In a pulley system, the tension in the string is equal on both sides of the pulley. However, the direction of the tension force may change depending on the direction of the motion. The presence of a pulley can also change the effective weight of the object, affecting the overall tension in the string.