Proving Positive Matrices through Conjugate Transposes

In summary, a 2x2 complex matrix is considered positive if and only if it is equal to its conjugate transpose, denoted as A=A*. This definition is similar to that of a positive operator, where the operator can be represented by the equation P=SS* and the definition of positive definite requires that S is non-singular. Another definition of a positive matrix requires that all square sub-matrices have positive determinants, but it is unclear what this is called.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
prove that a 2x2 complex matrix :
a b
c d

is positive iff A=A*, where A* is the conjugate transpose.

i know that an operator (and so i think it also applies to a matrix) is positive when it equals SS* for an operator (matrix) S.

and A* equals:
\\_
a c
_
b d

where the upper line stands for the conjugate.
but i don't know how to find an operator (matrix) which multiplied by its transpose conjugate equals A.
any pointers will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean to say a matrix is positive? Do you mean positive definite? Are the two terms interchangeable?

Also, there's another definition that requires that all square sub-matrices have positive determinants - I don't know what this is called.

i know the definition of positive operator (which you can reflect on a matrix cause evey operator can be repesented by a matrix), the definitions is as follows:
an operator P is positive if it can be represneted by this equation P=SS* where S is an operator.
the defintion of definite positive requires that S will be non singular.

loop quantum gravity said:
i know the definition of positive operator (which you can reflect on a matrix cause evey operator can be repesented by a matrix), the definitions is as follows:
an operator P is positive if it can be represneted by this equation P=SS* where S is an operator.
So, if P=SS*, what is P* = ?

Related to Proving Positive Matrices through Conjugate Transposes

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of mathematical objects known as vectors and matrices to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

2. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. Some examples include computer graphics, data analysis, optimization problems, and machine learning algorithms.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, vector spaces, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to represent and solve systems of linear equations and to study the properties of linear transformations.

4. How is linear algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as calculus, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It provides a foundation for these subjects and is often used in their applications.

5. What skills are needed to understand linear algebra?

To understand linear algebra, one needs to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry. Knowledge of basic mathematical concepts such as vectors, matrices, and equations is also essential. Additionally, critical thinking and problem-solving skills are important for applying linear algebra in real-world situations.