Irodov Homework Help: Potential of Fields of Force

In summary, the conversation discusses two stationary fields of force and whether or not they are potential. The participants mention calculating work performed by the forces and checking the curl of total fields as methods of determining potential. There is also confusion about the meaning of a red card.
danilo_rj
I've got a problem from Irodov.
There are two stationary fields of force F=ayi and F = axi + byj, where i and j are unit vectors of the x and y axes, and a and b are constants. Find out whether these fields are potential.
But how do I know that a field is potential? I've read that I have to calculate the work performed by these forces and if the work depends on the path or not. But why of this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nobody knows...

what does this red card mean?

I think Checking whether the curl of total fields is zero or not is the best way

1. What is the potential of fields of force?

The potential of fields of force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in a field of force. It is denoted by V and has the unit of volts (V).

2. How is the potential of fields of force different from electric potential?

The potential of fields of force and electric potential are essentially the same thing. However, the term "potential of fields of force" is often used in a more general sense, while electric potential specifically refers to the potential in an electric field.

3. What factors affect the potential of fields of force?

The potential of fields of force is affected by the distance between the two points in the field, the strength of the field, and the charge of the particle being moved. It is also influenced by the medium in which the field exists.

4. How is the potential of fields of force related to the concept of work?

The potential of fields of force is directly related to the concept of work. The potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in the field. The greater the potential, the more work is required to move the charge.

5. What are some real-life applications of the potential of fields of force?

The potential of fields of force has many real-life applications. For example, it is used in the development of electronic devices, such as capacitors and resistors. It is also used in the study of electricity and magnetism, as well as in the design of power grids and electric motors.