Place where parametric curve itself itself

In summary, to find the place where the parametric curve intersects itself, we can set the x and y values equal to each other and manipulate the equations to get cos^2t1 = cos^2t2 and tan t1 = tan t2. Since tangent is one-to-one within each period, this requires that t1 = t2 + nπ. By solving for t, we can find the points of intersection on the curve.
motornoob101

Homework Statement

Find the place where the parametric curve intersect itself

[tex] x = 1-2cos^{2}t [/tex]
[tex] y = tant(1-2cos^{2}t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started with the x values..

[tex] 1-2cos^{2}t_{1} = 1-2cos^{2}t_{2} [/tex]

By canceling the same stuff on both sides, I got
[tex] cos^{2}t_{1} = cos^{2}t_{2} [/tex]

Then I tried with y
I rewrote y in a different form.

[tex] y_{1} = tan t (x_{1}) [/tex]
and
[tex]y_{2} = tan t(x_{2}) [/tex]

This is possible since y already contains an expression for x.

Since the curve intersect itself, we know x1 must equal x2 so they cancel out.

then I am left with [tex] tant_{1}= tant_{2} [/tex]

but I can't solve for t

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you? Since tangent is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex], but one-to-one within each period, tan(t1)= tan(t2) requires that [itex]t_1= t_2+ n\pi[/itex]. Now, which of those values satifies cos2(t1)= cos2(t2)?

Ah, now I know what you meant, thanks!

1. What is a "place where parametric curve itself itself"?

A "place where parametric curve itself itself" is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of points on a graph where a parametric curve intersects with itself. This occurs when the x and y values of the curve's equation are both dependent on a third variable, such as time.

2. How is the "place where parametric curve itself itself" different from other points on the curve?

The "place where parametric curve itself itself" is different from other points on the curve because it is the only point where the curve intersects with itself. Other points on the curve may intersect with other curves or lines, but not with itself.

3. What is the significance of studying the "place where parametric curve itself itself"?

Studying the "place where parametric curve itself itself" can provide insight into the behavior and properties of parametric curves. It can also be used to solve complex geometric problems and equations.

4. How can the "place where parametric curve itself itself" be determined?

The "place where parametric curve itself itself" can be determined by setting the equations for x and y equal to each other and solving for the variable that they both depend on. This will give the value or values of the third variable at which the curve intersects with itself.

5. Can the "place where parametric curve itself itself" exist in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the "place where parametric curve itself itself" can exist in three-dimensional space. In this case, the curve would be defined by three equations, each dependent on a different variable, and the "place where parametric curve itself itself" would be a point where all three equations intersect with each other.