Implicit Function Theorem

In summary: Now, we need to show that ||2f'(c)/(m+M)|| < 1 in order for T to be a contraction. This is where the condition 0 < m ≤ ∂f/∂y ≤ M comes into play. From this, we can see that 0 < 2f'(c)/(m+M) ≤ 2M/(m+M) < 1. This means that T is indeed a contraction, and therefore has a unique fixed point, which is the solution to our original problem.In summary, we can solve the given equation by using the function f to transform another function u, and showing that the transformation T is a contraction
tom_rylex

Homework Statement

I'm looking for someone to walk me through a problem, because I keep falling further and further behind ...

Let f be a real-valued function on he strip [itex] R_2: a \leq x \leq b, -\infty < y < \infty [/itex]. Can the equation f(x,y) = 0 be solved for y as a function of x;
f is continuous w/ continuous partial derivatives of first order, and
[tex] 0 < m \leq \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \leq M [/tex]
show a unique function y = u(x) so that f(x,u(x)) = 0

Homework Equations

There was s hint to consider a continuous function w/ the sup norm and define the transformation [itex] T:C[a,b] \rightarrow C[a,b] [/itex] by
[tex] (Tu)(x) = u(x) - \frac{2}{m + M}f(x,u(x)) [/tex]
and show that T is a contraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not getting it, but here's what I have:
Apply the contraction mapping theorem:

[tex] \parallel (Tu)(x) - (Tv)(x) \parallel = \parallel u(x) - \frac{2}{m + M}f(x,u(x)) - v(x) + \frac{2}{m + M}f(x,v(x)) \parallel [/tex]
[tex] = \parallel u(x) - v(x) + \frac{2}{m + M}\left(f(x,v(x)) - f(x,u(x)) \right ) \parallel [/tex]
If I apply the Mean Value theorem, I should be able to get
[tex] = \parallel u(x) - v(x) - \frac{2}{m + M}f'(c)(v(x) - u(x)) \parallel [/tex]
taking the sup norm, I would state
[tex] \leq \parallel u(x) -v(x) + \frac{2M}{m + M}(u(x) - v(x)) \parallel_\infty [/tex]
[tex] \leq \left(1+\frac{2M}{m + M} \right) \parallel u(x) - v(x) \parallel_\infty [/tex]
[tex] \leq \frac{m+3M}{m+M} \parallel u(x) - v(x) \parallel_\infty [/tex]

I know that's not correct (definitely not a contraction), but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please use small words, so I can understand. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It seems like you are trying to solve a problem involving a real-valued function on a strip. This can be a bit tricky, but don't worry, I'm here to help. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution together.

First, the problem asks if the equation f(x,y) = 0 can be solved for y as a function of x. This means that we need to find a function y = u(x) that satisfies the equation f(x,u(x)) = 0. In order to do this, we can use the fact that f is a continuous function with continuous partial derivatives of first order, and that 0 < m ≤ ∂f/∂y ≤ M. This means that f is a well-behaved function, and we can use it to help us find a solution.

The hint given suggests that we consider a continuous function with the sup norm and define the transformation T:C[a,b] → C[a,b] by (Tu)(x) = u(x) - 2/(m+M)f(x,u(x)). This may seem a bit confusing at first, but essentially what we are doing is using the function f to transform the function u.

Next, we need to show that T is a contraction. This means that for any two functions u and v in the domain of T, the distance between Tu and Tv is always less than the distance between u and v. In other words, we want to show that ||Tu - Tv|| < ||u - v||.

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few mistakes. First, when you apply the Mean Value Theorem, you should get ||u(x) - v(x) + 2f'(c)/(m+M)(v(x) - u(x))||. This is because the derivative of f(x,u(x)) with respect to x is just f'(c), where c is some value between u(x) and v(x).

Next, you took the sup norm of this expression, but you forgot to include the 2f'(c)/(m+M) term. This means that your final expression should be ||u(x) - v(x) + 2f'(c)/(m+M)(v(x) - u(x))|| ≤ ||u(x) - v(x)|| + ||2f'(c)/(m+M)||

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to find relationships between variables in a system of equations without explicitly solving for one of the variables. It states that if a function is continuously differentiable and satisfies certain criteria, then the function can be represented implicitly as a differentiable function of one of the variables.

2. How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in science?

The Implicit Function Theorem is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is particularly useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to explicitly solve for a certain variable. It allows scientists to analyze and understand relationships between variables in complex systems.

3. What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The Implicit Function Theorem has three main conditions that must be satisfied for it to hold. The first condition is that the function must be continuously differentiable. The second condition is that the derivative of the function with respect to the variable being solved for must not be equal to zero. The third and final condition is that the system of equations must be satisfied at the point in question.

4. Can the Implicit Function Theorem be applied to systems with more than two variables?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be applied to systems with any number of variables. However, for systems with more than two variables, the theorem becomes more complicated and requires additional conditions to be satisfied. In these cases, the Jacobian matrix is used to determine if the conditions for the theorem are met.

5. Are there any limitations to the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem has some limitations, such as the fact that it only applies to continuous functions. It also requires the function to be differentiable, which means that it may not be applicable to all types of functions. Additionally, the theorem may not always provide a unique solution, and it is possible for multiple solutions to exist.