Applied Math: Areas of Study & College Focus

In summary: Check out Gilbert Strang's linear algebra video lectures (first lecture here) at the MIT OCW site online. It's not numerical linear algebra, but it is probably a more advanced level than you have already seen, and probably a prequisite for understanding numerical linear algebra. Plus the lectures are great.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
What are different areas of study in Applied Mathematics?

That's what I'm planning to do in college but I'm trying to figure out which area I'm going to focus on.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field is huge. A few of the bigger subdisciplines include

Numerical Analysis
PDE
Optimization
Network Theory
Applied Probability

I see. Which is the more popular one?

dont worry about specalizing until you have taken the standard maths for beginning undergraduates (various calc classes, linear algebra, etc)

I already took those classes in a nearby junior college.

so when I hit the university after high school i'd probably be jumping in right into the major requirements.

Also, which specialization offers more opportunities outside research?

Each of these areas is huge in both academic research and industry application. For many positions a masters or phd is necessary, so you may not want to specialize until late undergrad or graduate school, should you decide to do that.

I would recommend studying real analysis and numerical linear algebra next.

I heard real analysis is a hardcore math class. But I'm looking into getting a book and self-studying while I'm still not in college.

Meanwhile, "numerical" linear algebra? What's the difference between regular linear algebra and numerical linear algebra? I already took the linear algebra course offered in the community college so I'm just wondering...

EDIT: Nevermind about the numerical linear alg. question. I did a search on google and found the difference.

What are good institutions/universities for applied mathematics? both undergrad and grad.

Last edited:
Check out Gilbert Strang's linear algebra video lectures (first lecture here) at the MIT OCW site online. It's not numerical linear algebra, but it is probably a more advanced level than you have already seen, and probably a prequisite for understanding numerical linear algebra. Plus the lectures are great. If you already know linear algebra at that level, then I recomment picking up Numerical Linear Algebra by Trefethen and Bau,
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/nick.trefethen/text.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What are good institutions/universities for applied mathematics? both undergrad and grad.

What is applied math?

Applied math is the use of mathematical methods and models to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, finance, biology, and physics.

What are some areas of study in applied math?

Some areas of study in applied math include optimization, statistics, differential equations, and mathematical modeling.

What are some popular college programs focused on applied math?

Some popular college programs focused on applied math include Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics, Master of Science in Applied Mathematics, and PhD in Applied Mathematics.

What skills are required for a career in applied math?

Some important skills for a career in applied math include problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills, strong analytical skills, and proficiency in mathematical software.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in applied math?

There are many career opportunities for someone with a degree in applied math, including data analyst, financial analyst, actuary, operations research analyst, and research scientist.