Calculating earth gravity by using centripetal acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the value of gravitational acceleration at Earth's surface using the given information about the moon's period and orbit. It is suggested to use the formula g=(4*3.142R)/T2 and to calculate the mass of the Earth in order to find the correct value for g.
ankhmor

Homework Statement

I am asked to calculate the value of gravitational acceleration at Earth's surface given the following
Moon's period around the Earth - 27 days 8 hours
Moons orbit - 60.1 times the radius of Earth (6.38 x 10^6 m)

Homework Equations

Fc=(4*3.142mR)/T2
which works out to be
g=(4*3.142R)/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get the right answer (9.8 m/s2) IF i convert 27 days to MINUTES instead of proper SECONDS.
so where am i going wrong?

ive tried another method where i didvided the moons speed squared by the orbital radius and i get the same wrong answer
2.76e-3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
If you just use g=(4*3.142R)/T2, with the circular motion of the moon, you will find the acceleration of the moon due to Earth's gravity. It will be MUCH smaller than 9.8.

I rather think you are supposed to use the given information about the moon's motion to calculate the mass of the Earth, then use the gravitational formula (with big G) to find the acceleration at the surface of the Earth (little g).

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration related to earth gravity?

Earth gravity provides the centripetal force that keeps objects in orbit around the Earth. Centripetal acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain a circular orbit around the Earth.

How can centripetal acceleration be used to calculate earth gravity?

By measuring the centripetal acceleration of an object in orbit around the Earth and using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the orbital velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit, we can calculate the strength of Earth's gravity at that distance from the center of the Earth.

What are the units of measurement for centripetal acceleration?

The units of measurement for centripetal acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating earth gravity using centripetal acceleration?

Yes, there are factors such as air resistance, variations in the orbital velocity, and changes in the radius of the orbit that can affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to carefully control these factors when conducting experiments to calculate earth gravity using centripetal acceleration.