What is the formula for (m-1)^-1 and how can it be proven?

• Thread starter sarah77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, we are asked to find the multiplicative inverse of m-1 in Zm for several values of m, and to find a formula for (m-1)^-1 and prove its generality. To do so, we can use the fact that (m-1)(m-1) is congruent to 1 mod m, and show that it has a remainder of 1 when divided by m.
sarah77

Homework Statement

Find a formula for (m-1)^-1 and prove that your result holds true in general.

Homework Equations

if m=5: (5-1) in Z5 is 4 and inverse of 4 in Z5 is 4.
m=6: (6-1) in Z6 is 5 and inverse of 5 in Z6 is 5.
and so on.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the formula: (m-1)^-1 = (m-1) in Zm, but I do not know how to prove it..please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

the problem statement is a little vague...

though i am guessing you are trying to find a generic formula, in terms of m, for the inverse element for (m-1) in multiplicative group of integers modulo m?

If you think (m-1) is the inverse of (m-1) in Z_m, then you could prove it by showing (m-1)(m-1) is congruent to 1 mod m.

I apologize, the question reads: Find the multiplicative inverse of m-1 in Zm for several values of m. Find a formula for (m-1)^-1 and prove that your result holds in general. How could I use (m-1)(m-1)?

sarah77 said:
I apologize, the question reads: Find the multiplicative inverse of m-1 in Zm for several values of m. Find a formula for (m-1)^-1 and prove that your result holds in general. How could I use (m-1)(m-1)?

Multiply it out. Can you show its remainder when divided by m is 1?

OH! Ok, thank you!

1. What is the meaning of (m-1)^-1 in the formula?

The (m-1)^-1 in the formula represents the inverse of the expression (m-1). In other words, it represents the multiplicative inverse of (m-1) which is equal to 1/(m-1).

2. How can (m-1)^-1 be simplified?

To simplify (m-1)^-1, you can use the power rule for negative exponents which states that (x^-n) = 1/(x^n). Applying this rule to (m-1)^-1, we get 1/(m-1)^1, which can be further simplified to 1/(m-1).

3. What is the domain and range of (m-1)^-1?

The domain of (m-1)^-1 is all real numbers except for m=1, as division by 0 is undefined. The range of (m-1)^-1 is also all real numbers except for 0, as 1/(m-1) will always be a non-zero value.

4. Can (m-1)^-1 be graphed?

Yes, (m-1)^-1 can be graphed using a graphing calculator or software. The resulting graph will be a hyperbola, with a vertical asymptote at m=1 and a horizontal asymptote at y=0.

5. How can (m-1)^-1 be used in real-world applications?

(m-1)^-1 can be used to model situations where there is an inverse relationship between two variables, such as the relationship between price and demand of a product. It can also be used in physics to represent the inverse relationship between force and acceleration.