How Do You Secure REU Letters of Recommendation During Winter Break?

In summary, it is recommended to start working on REU applications in January and give professors about 4 weeks notice ahead of time. It is best to get to know professors well during the current semester and ask for letters of recommendation near the end of the fall semester. Depending on the program, letters can be submitted through email, snail mail, or pre-stamped envelopes. It is important to know the preferred method for each program.
Fisicks
So from what I have researched it looks like people start working on REU applications in January. My question is when do you go about getting letters of recommendation if your on winter break in January and when your in school in nov/dec you won't know how many letters you need or where you are sending the letters. In my case, I am going to try to get letters from Fall 2011 professors since i don't have any relationships with my other professors.
What is the appropriate course of action?

Thanks guys, trying to make this go as smooth as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should give your professors about 4 weeks notice ahead of time. I would get to know your professors this semester really well, and ask them near the end of fall semester if they would be willing to write you one. Then you can just use email over the break to contact them.

Ok, that makes sense. So I would just have to go up to the campus to collect my letters sometime around January?

It depends. Some programs want emails, some want snail mail. I have also heard of people just giving their professors stamped, addressed envelopes that are all ready to go, so that the professor just has to put the letter in and drop it in the outgoing mail box. So if you won't be back on campus in time you could mail them the envelopes. Just make sure you know how each program wants it done and it shouldn't really be a problem.

I understand the importance of planning and preparation in research opportunities like REUs. It is commendable that you have already started researching the timeline for applications. In regards to your question about letters of recommendation, I would suggest reaching out to your Fall 2011 professors as soon as possible to request their letters. It is always better to have more time for them to write and submit their letters, rather than waiting until the last minute. In addition, you can also start reaching out to other potential recommenders, such as current professors or supervisors, to give them enough time to write a strong letter for you. As for the number of letters needed and where to send them, you can always update your recommenders as you finalize your application list. It is also a good idea to have a backup plan in case one of your recommenders is unable to write a letter for you. Overall, the key is to start early and communicate clearly with your recommenders to ensure a smooth application process. Best of luck!

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research opportunity for undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of science or engineering. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation and are hosted by universities and research institutions across the United States.

2. Who is eligible to participate in an REU program?

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in a degree program and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to participate in REU programs. Some programs may also consider international students or graduating seniors on a case-by-case basis.

3. How do I apply for an REU program?

To apply for an REU program, you will need to search for programs that align with your research interests and academic background. Once you have identified potential programs, you will need to submit an application which typically includes your academic transcript, resume, personal statement, and letters of recommendation.

4. What is the duration of an REU program?

The duration of an REU program can vary, but most programs run for 8-10 weeks during the summer. Some programs may offer longer or shorter durations, so it is important to check the specific program's website for more information.

5. Are REU programs paid?

Yes, most REU programs provide a stipend for participants to cover living expenses during the program. The amount of the stipend can vary depending on the program, but it is typically enough to cover housing, food, and other basic needs. Some programs may also cover travel expenses for participants.