Is a Math Professor's Recommendation Suitable for a Chemical Engineering REU?

In summary, the speaker is trying to apply for chemical engineering REU's for the summer but has not received responses from their chemistry professors for letters of recommendation. They ask if a math teacher's recommendation would suffice since it is a STEM field. The other person suggests asking in person rather than via email and mentions that any STEM teacher or professor would be a good choice for a recommendation. The speaker explains that they want to send out applications before school starts and are on winter break for three more weeks.
member 392791
I am trying to apply to chemical engineering REU's for the summer, and I have one physics professor that said he would write a letter for me, but none of my chemistry professors have responded to my e-mails asking if they would write one. Is math a close enough field to get a letter of recommendation from a math teacher? As long as its something STEM? I go to a community college so there are no engineering classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you not ask them in person? That is much preferred and a more respectful way to do it. Imagine if somebody wanted you to take time out of your busy day to help them with no direct benefit to yourself. Wouldn't you want to be asked in person rather than just emailed the request?

Also its much harder to say no to a student asking you in person than it is to just ignore an email.

Otherwise, I think any STEM area teacher or professor would be good. Math would be fine, as would anybody else that you have had a relevant kind of relationship with and would recommend you. Particularly since you are still at community college and don't have a large pool of potential recommenders to choose from.

Well because I am on winter break right now and I want to send out these applications before school starts so I can focus on studying instead of REU applications while I am on break for 3 more weeks.

Related to Is a Math Professor's Recommendation Suitable for a Chemical Engineering REU?

1. What is an REU letter of recommendation?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) letter of recommendation is a letter written by a professor, mentor, or employer that speaks to your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in a research-based program or position. It is often required as part of the application process for REU programs.

2. Who should I ask to write my REU letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and research experience. This could be a professor, research mentor, or employer. It is important to choose someone who can provide specific examples and insights into your skills and potential.

3. How many REU letters of recommendation do I need?

The number of letters required may vary depending on the specific REU program or position you are applying to. It is best to check the application guidelines to see how many letters are required. In general, it is recommended to have at least 2-3 letters of recommendation.

4. How should I request an REU letter of recommendation?

You should request an REU letter of recommendation in person, if possible. This allows you to have a personal conversation and provide any necessary information or materials. Be sure to give your potential recommender plenty of notice and provide any relevant information, such as your CV or research proposal, to help them write a strong letter.

5. What should be included in an REU letter of recommendation?

An REU letter of recommendation should include specific examples and insights into your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in a research-based program. It should also highlight any unique or exceptional qualities that make you a strong candidate. The letter should be well-written, professional, and personalized to the specific REU program or position you are applying to.