Finding parametric equation of the line tangent to the parabola

In summary, to find a parametric equation for a line that is tangent to a parabola at a given point, you must first take the derivative of the parabola and use that as the slope of the line. This can be represented as a vector equation, where t is the parameter. By plugging in the given point and the derivative at that point, you can find a parametric equation for the tangent line. However, it is important to show the steps and reasoning behind the solution in order to accurately determine if the answer is correct.
shemer77

Homework Statement

Find a parametric equation of the line that satisfies the condition:
The line that is tangent to the parabola y=x^2 at the point (-2,4)

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer came out to
<x,y> = <-2,4> + t<1,2>

Physics news on Phys.org
Any curve whose equation is given by y = f(x) can be parametrized as
r = <x, f(x)>.

Last edited:
For a parametric curve, the slope at a point (x0, y0) is

[tex](\frac{dy}{dx}) \vert_{(x_{0},y_{0})} = \frac{dy/dt}{dx/dt} \vert_{(x_{0},y_{0})} .[/tex]

What is dy/dx for the parabola at (-2, 4)? What is the slope of your line? (There is a discrepancy.) How did you work out your answer?glebovg, shemer77 has written the pair of equations as a single vector equation -- that notation is acceptable for a system of equations.

sorry, I am not really sure what your asking? What I did was I took the derivative of y=x^2 b/c that would give me the slope of a line tangent to the parobala then i used that slope as my vector. Are you asking what's the derivative at (-2,4)?

You have told us, twice, what you got without telling us how you got it. The answer you got is NOT correct but since you haven't shown how you got that, we can't tell what you did wrong.

I mentioned it in my last post

shemer77 said:
What I did was I took the derivative of y=x^2 b/c that would give me the slope of a line tangent to the parobala then i used that slope as my vector.

Are you saying I should take the derivative which would give me dy/dx=2x and thus dy/dx=-4? and would I put that into my original equation? <x,y> = <-2,4> + t<1,-4>

My answer looked completely different from yours and based on what HallsofIvy says, I think I am not wrong.

What I did was do the line the normal way, that is

Find y = y'(x - x_0) + y_0

Then let x = t

shemer77 said:
I mentioned it in my last post

Are you saying I should take the derivative which would give me dy/dx=2x and thus dy/dx=-4? and would I put that into my original equation? <x,y> = <-2,4> + t<1,-4>

Just saying you "took the derivative" does not tell us how you got that equation! The "algebraic" form of the equation would be y= m(x-1)- 4 where m is the value of the derivative at (1, -4). One possible parametric equation for that would be t<1, m>+ <1, -4>. Do you see why?

Hmm, I think so but I don't see how my answer of
<x,y> = <-2,4> + t<1,-4>
is wrong?

HallsofIvy said:
Just saying you "took the derivative" does not tell us how you got that equation! The "algebraic" form of the equation would be y= m(x-1)- 4 where m is the value of the derivative at (1, -4). One possible parametric equation for that would be t<1, m>+ <1, -4>. Do you see why?

That's odd I got q(t) = <0,-4> + t<1,m>

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical representation of a curve or line in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. These equations are often used in calculus and physics to describe complex shapes and movements.

2. How do you find the parametric equation of a line tangent to a parabola?

To find the parametric equation of a line tangent to a parabola at a given point, you will need to use the derivative of the parabola equation. The derivative will give you the slope of the tangent line, which you can then use to find the parametric equation.

3. What is the purpose of finding the parametric equation of a line tangent to a parabola?

The parametric equation of a line tangent to a parabola allows us to describe the movement of a point on the parabola as it moves along the curve. This is useful in physics and engineering, where we often need to model the motion of objects in real-world scenarios.

4. Can you find the parametric equation of a line tangent to any parabola?

Yes, the parametric equation of a line tangent to a parabola can be found for any point on the parabola. However, the process for finding the equation may vary depending on the specific parabola and point in question.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations for tangent lines?

While parametric equations can be useful in many situations, they may not always be the most practical or efficient way to describe tangent lines. In some cases, it may be more straightforward to use other methods, such as finding the slope-intercept equation of the line or using vector equations.