Midpoint Property of Tangents to Parabolas

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
In summary: I don't understand that at all. Can you explain how you get P = 2QR from the stuff above it?I know of a way to prove this but it is difficult. Start like this, let ##P.x = u##. Find ##Q.x## and ##R.x## in terms of u (not so tough). Then find ##{Q.y + R.y \over 2}##.yy1 is not the same as y^2. Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
If the tangent at the point ##P## to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## meets the parabola ## y^2=4a(x+b)## at points ##Q## and ##R##. Prove that ##P## is the midpoint of ##QR##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the tangent equation to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## is given by ##yy1=2a(x+x1)##
and that ## y^2=4a(x+b)## it follows that
##2a(x+x1) = 4a(x+b)##
→## (x+x1)=2(x+b)##
→##P= 2QR##
or
→##1/2P=QR##
is my working correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
If the tangent at the point ##P## to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## meets the parabola ## y^2=4a(x+b)## at points ##Q## and ##R##. Prove that ##P## is the midpoint of ##QR##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the tangent equation to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## is given by ##yy1=2a(x+x1)##
and that ## y^2=4a(x+b)## it follows that
##2a(x+x1) = 4a(x+b)##
→## (x+x1)=2(x+b)##
→##P= 2QR##
or
→##1/2P=QR##

I don't understand that at all. Can you explain how you get P = 2QR from the stuff above it?

I know of a way to prove this but it is difficult. Start like this, let ##P.x = u##. Find ##Q.x## and ##R.x## in terms of u (not so tough). Then find ##{Q.y + R.y \over 2}##.

Likes chwala
yy1 is not the same as y^2. Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.

neilparker62 said:
yy1 is not the same as y^2. Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.
how?

##y= 2a(x+x1)/y1##
##y^2=4a(x+b)##
##4yy1=4a(x+x1)## and ##y^2=4a(x+b)##
on subtraction...
##4yy1-y^2=4ax1-4ab##
advise

You need to square the first equation so that the LHS in both equations is y^2. Then: 4a(x+b)=4a^2(x+x1)^2/(y1)^2.

verty said:
I don't understand that at all.
I agree.

verty said:
Can you explain how you get P = 2QR from the stuff above it?
As already stated, this makes no sense. P, Q, and R are the names of the three points in this problem -- they aren't numbers. It would be better to identify the x and y coordinates at each point something like this:
##P(x_p, y_p), Q(x_q, y_q), R(x_r, y_r)##

chwala said:
I don't follow this at all. The slope of the tangent line at point P is ##\frac{2a}{y_p}##. The equation of the tangent line at point P is ##y - y_p = \frac{2a}{y_p}(x - x_p)##, using the point-slope form of the line equation and thenotation I described above.

Mark44 said:
I don't follow this at all. The slope of the tangent line at point P is ##\frac{2a}{y_p}##. The equation of the tangent line at point P is ##y - y_p = \frac{2a}{y_p}(x - x_p)##, using the point-slope form of the line equation and thenotation I described above.

Because you will multiply through by y_p obtaining a term (y_p)^2=4a(x_p)

neilparker62 said:
Because you will multiply through by y_p obtaining a term (y_p)^2=4a(x_p)
OK, I see it now, but it wasn't immediately obvious.

so what is the conclusion

neilparker62 said:
Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.

Likes chwala
ok let me look at it...

this is still pending...i need help

let me look at it, i want to clear all pending assignments here...

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point. It is perpendicular to the radius of the curve at that point.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line calculated?

The slope of a tangent line is calculated using the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency. The derivative represents the rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. What is the difference between a tangent line and a secant line?

A tangent line touches a curve at one point, while a secant line intersects the curve at two points. The slope of a tangent line represents the instant rate of change, while the slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change.

4. Can a tangent line and a curve intersect at more than one point?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a curve at one point. If they intersect at more than one point, the line is not a tangent but a secant line.

5. How is the equation of a tangent line determined?

The equation of a tangent line can be determined using the point-slope form of a line, where the point of tangency is used as the point and the slope of the tangent line is calculated using the derivative of the curve at that point.