Partition function to find expected occupancy of a lattice defect

In summary, the expected number of electrons at an impurity site can be calculated by using the partition function and the equations provided. After correcting for errors, the expected number can be found to be 2 as the temperature approaches infinity and 0 as the temperature approaches 0. Keep up the good work!
jncarter

Homework Statement

An impurity can be occupied by 0, 1 or 2 electrons. The impurity orbital in non-degenerate, except for the choice of electron spin. The energy of the impurity level is [itex]\epsilon[/itex], but to place the second electron on the site requires an additional energy [itex]\delta \epsilon[/itex].

Calculate the expected number of electrons <N> at the site as a function of [itex]\epsilon, \delta \epsilon[/itex] and the temperature T and the chemical potential [itex]\mu[/itex]

Homework Equations

The expected number of electrons is given by:
<N> = [itex]\Sigma n_{i}*p_{i} [/itex]
Where i iterates the possible states and pi is the probability of the ith state.
[itex]p_{i} = \frac{e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{i}-\mu)*n_{i}}}{Z}[/itex]
Where Z is the partition function.
Alternatively, the expected number of electrons may be calculated by:
<N>= [itex]\frac{1}{\beta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \mu} ln(Z)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of the best way to approach forming the partition function. I am also unsure of the second method to calculate the expected occupancy. I've seen it done that way as well as:
[itex]-\frac{1}{\beta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \epsilon} ln(Z)[/itex]
My latest attempt was to write the partition function as follows:
[itex]Z = 1 +e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{1} -\mu)} + e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{2} -\mu)2}[/itex]
Where [itex]\epsilon_{1} = \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{2} = \epsilon +\delta \epsilon [/itex]
And then use the first method given to find the expected number of electrons.
<N> = [itex]\frac{e^{-\beta(\epsilon -\mu)}+2e^{-\beta(\epsilon +\delta \epsilon -\mu)2}}{1+e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{1} -\mu)} + e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{2} -\mu)2}} [/itex]

This is all well and good, but I took a look at the limiting behavior and my result does not match my expectations. I would expect that as the temperature increased N would approach two and as it decreased, <N> would approach zero. Yet, the limit as [itex]\beta[/itex] approaches zero (increasing temperature) is one rather than two.

All advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. Your approach to finding the expected number of electrons is correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, the partition function should be written as:

Z = 1 + e^{-\beta(\epsilon - \mu)} + e^{-2\beta(\epsilon + \delta \epsilon - \mu)}

This is because the second electron can only occupy the impurity orbital if the first electron is already present, so the probability should be multiplied by an additional factor of e^{-\beta(\epsilon + \delta \epsilon - \mu)}.

Next, the expected number of electrons should be written as:

<N> = \frac{1}{Z} \left[e^{-\beta(\epsilon - \mu)} + 2e^{-2\beta(\epsilon + \delta \epsilon - \mu)} \right]

This is because the probability of each state should be divided by the partition function.

Finally, when taking the limit as \beta approaches zero, you should get <N> = 2 as expected. This can be seen by expanding the exponential terms and taking the limit.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a partition function?

A partition function is a mathematical function used in statistical mechanics to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of particles in a system and is used to determine the probability of a particular energy state being occupied.

2. How is the partition function used to find expected occupancy of a lattice defect?

The partition function can be used to calculate the expected occupancy of a lattice defect by incorporating the energy levels and degeneracy of the defect into the overall partition function for the system. This allows for the determination of the probability of the defect being occupied at a given temperature.

3. What is the relationship between the partition function and entropy?

The partition function is related to the entropy of a system through the Boltzmann equation, which states that the entropy is equal to the natural logarithm of the partition function multiplied by the Boltzmann constant. This relationship allows for the determination of the entropy of a system based on its partition function.

4. Can the partition function be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties?

Yes, the partition function can be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties such as the internal energy, free energy, and specific heat of a system. These properties can be determined by taking derivatives of the partition function with respect to temperature.

5. How does the size of the lattice affect the expected occupancy of a defect?

The size of the lattice can affect the expected occupancy of a defect because it can change the energy levels and degeneracy of the defect, thus altering its contribution to the overall partition function. Generally, as the lattice size increases, the expected occupancy of the defect decreases due to a decrease in the defect's energy levels and degeneracy.