Looking for a Mechanical Engineer to Interview for High School

In summary, the speaker is a high-school student looking for a mechanical or automotive engineer to interview for a careers assignment. They have a set of questions and would prefer the answers by the 20th. The questions include topics such as the primary goal and impact of the engineer's work, how they got the job, their training and education, and their satisfaction with their job. The speaker also asks about the engineer's workload, work area, and future career plans. They also inquire about the engineer's hobbies and interests and whether they feel they are earning enough money for their work. They request the engineer's name but assure that it will only be used for the project and not shared without their permission. They end with a polite "thank you
wwyl
Hi, I'm a high-school student and for a Careers assignement we need to interview someone who has a job in a career area we wish to pursue. So, I'm hoping to find a person who a mechnaical engineer who's willing to give answers with some depth and though. An automotive engineer would be even better since I really want to go into that area, but any mechanical engineer willing to help is most welcomed.

Here's my questions. Sorry if it takes a while, but it would be preferable to have the answers by around the 20th:
1) What do you think is the primary goal of your work?
2) What do you think will be the greater impact of your work?
3) Can you give an example of how your average day may be?
4) How did you get this job?
5) What training, skills, experience or education did you need to get this job?
6) Did your parents and friends support your choice? How did you feel about that?
7) Did you expect to have this job when you were a teenager? If not, what did you think you were going to be?
8) What happened, made you think “this is it, this is going to be my job” ?
9) What part of your work do you enjoy and give you a sense of satisfaction? Can you give examples?
10) In retrospect, is there any part of your job you would like to be different?
11) How is your workload? Do you find it too stressful or too easy?
12) What about your work area? Is it safe, clean, up-to-date, etc?
13) Do you pursue other hobbies or interests? How often and how much?
14) What do you see as the future of your career?
15) Do you think you are earning enough money for your work?

And if I may, can I also have your name? Its only for the project and I won't share any info given unless you say so.

Please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
wwyl said:
Hi, I'm a high-school student and for a Careers assignement we need to interview someone who has a job in a career area we wish to pursue. So, I'm hoping to find a person who a mechnaical engineer who's willing to give answers with some depth and though. An automotive engineer would be even better since I really want to go into that area, but any mechanical engineer willing to help is most welcomed.

Here's my questions. Sorry if it takes a while, but it would be preferable to have the answers by around the 20th:
1) What do you think is the primary goal of your work?
2) What do you think will be the greater impact of your work?
3) Can you give an example of how your average day may be?
4) How did you get this job?
5) What training, skills, experience or education did you need to get this job?
6) Did your parents and friends support your choice? How did you feel about that?
7) Did you expect to have this job when you were a teenager? If not, what did you think you were going to be?
8) What happened, made you think “this is it, this is going to be my job” ?
9) What part of your work do you enjoy and give you a sense of satisfaction? Can you give examples?
10) In retrospect, is there any part of your job you would like to be different?
11) How is your workload? Do you find it too stressful or too easy?
12) What about your work area? Is it safe, clean, up-to-date, etc?
13) Do you pursue other hobbies or interests? How often and how much?
14) What do you see as the future of your career?
15) Do you think you are earning enough money for your work?

And if I may, can I also have your name? Its only for the project and I won't share any info given unless you say so.

Please and thank you.

Sorry, for privacy and anti-phishing reasons, we no longer allow interview-type threads on the PF.

1. What is a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is a professional who applies principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems. They work on a variety of projects, from developing new products to improving existing ones.

2. What education is required to become a mechanical engineer?

Most mechanical engineers hold a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some may also have a master's or doctoral degree. In addition to formal education, mechanical engineers must also have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. What skills should a mechanical engineer possess?

A mechanical engineer should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as technical skills in computer-aided design (CAD) software and other engineering tools. They should also have excellent communication and teamwork skills, as they often work on projects with other engineers and professionals.

4. What types of industries do mechanical engineers work in?

Mechanical engineers work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, construction, and energy. They may also work for government agencies, consulting firms, or research and development companies.

5. What are some common tasks or responsibilities of a mechanical engineer?

Mechanical engineers may be responsible for designing, testing, and evaluating mechanical systems and components, such as engines, machines, and tools. They may also oversee the production and installation of these systems, as well as troubleshoot and make improvements to existing systems.