A simple circuit - 2 lamps in parallel connection dim

In summary: Overall, when connecting multiple light bulbs in a circuit, the voltage and amperage should stay the same. However, due to resistance in the battery and the light bulbs themselves, adding more bulbs can cause a decrease in brightness. This can be alleviated by adding a second battery in parallel with the first. The way in which the light bulbs are connected (parallel or series) also affects their brightness. Connecting them in parallel will result in brighter bulbs, while connecting them in series will result in dimmer bulbs, unless the voltage is increased.
fawk3s
So I made this really simple circuit - a battery, some wires and a small light bulb. Now when I connected another light bulb with this light bulb, both of them where burning a tad dimmer than when there was only one lamp in the circuit.
Why is that? The voltage and the amperage should stay the same in both. Shouldnt they?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because of resistance in battery itself. You can model the behavior of real battery in a circuit by having a small resistance in series with an ideal battery. When you add a second bulb, current increases. That means higher voltage across resistor, and therefore, lower voltage across the two light bulbs.

You can alleviate that by adding a second battery in parallel with the original. The two light bulbs will then shine just as bright as a single light bulb with single battery.

Light bulbs are basically resistors. Perhaps this helps?

Does it not allso depend on how your simple circuit is configured.
Is the wireing in parallel or series.
Sorry seen the title me being dim.
Try connecting the lightbulbs in series pos battery, wire, lightbulb, wire, lightbulb, wire, battery neg.Should stay brighter.

Last edited:
K^2 said:
It's because of resistance in battery itself. You can model the behavior of real battery in a circuit by having a small resistance in series with an ideal battery. When you add a second bulb, current increases. That means higher voltage across resistor, and therefore, lower voltage across the two light bulbs.

You can alleviate that by adding a second battery in parallel with the original. The two light bulbs will then shine just as bright as a single light bulb with single battery.

Thanks mate, I think I get it.

Try connecting the lightbulbs in series pos battery, wire, lightbulb, wire, lightbulb, wire, battery neg.Should stay brighter.
No, if you connect them in series, they will be much dimmer, and likely won't light at all. You would effectively be cutting voltage across each one in half.

Mostly when connecting in series it will end up dimmer indeed. But when randomly calculating I found out that when playing around with 2 lightbulbs with resistance of 10 ohms, and a battery with 10 ohms, and with a voltage of 40 V, the voltage and amperage in both of the bulbs is the same, making no difference which way you connect them.
But these are, ofcourse, random numbers.

Keep in mind that realistically, the resistance in the battery is significantly lower than in a light bulb, so connecting multiple bulbs in parallel won't have as much of an effect on current through each as connecting them in series.

Also, the resistance in the filament depends on the temperature, and temperature depends on the current flowing through the filament. So that complicates things even more.

1. How does a parallel connection affect the brightness of lamps in a simple circuit?

A parallel connection in a simple circuit allows for the lamps to have the same voltage across them, resulting in both lamps being at full brightness.

2. What is the advantage of using a parallel connection for multiple lamps in a simple circuit?

The advantage of using a parallel connection is that each lamp will have the same voltage and can operate independently, unlike a series connection where the brightness is divided between the lamps.

3. Can I add more lamps to a parallel connection without affecting the brightness of existing lamps?

Yes, you can add more lamps to a parallel connection without affecting the brightness of existing lamps. The total resistance of the circuit will decrease, allowing for more current to flow and keeping the voltage across each lamp the same.

4. Will the lamps dim if one of them burns out in a parallel connection?

No, the lamps will not dim if one of them burns out in a parallel connection. The remaining lamps will continue to receive the same voltage and operate at full brightness.

5. How can I calculate the total resistance in a parallel connection of lamps in a simple circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel connection can be calculated by adding the reciprocals of the individual resistances and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. For example, if there are two lamps with resistances of 4 ohms and 6 ohms, the total resistance would be 1/4 + 1/6 = 5/12 ohms.