Rollecoaster Banked Curve Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around writing a report on the physics of rollercoasters and understanding the role of friction and acceleration in banked curves. The individual has questions regarding the use of an accelerometer and possible mathematical relationships for testing banked curves.
shisek
Hey all,

I'm in the process of writing a report concerning the physics of rollercoasters going around banked curves. With the rollercoaster I'm focussing on, the velocity of the car is always greater than the designed velocity of curves meaning there is a friction force parallel to the bank. I understand the vector diagrams and the derivation of formulas for μ, v and banking angle but I'm a bit confused concerning acquiring usable data from accelerometer readings.

Here are my questions:
1. Is acceleration parallel to the bank just due to friction or is there a portion of centripetal acceleration included?
2. What is a good testable mathematical relationship regarding banked curves? I've had some ideas but none seem all too solid.

Thanks for reading! Please offer some insight even if you can only answer one question :).

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
you rode a roller-coaster with an accelerometer on your lap huh? cool!

q1.
accelerometers usually measure the acceleration in a particular direction
if you pointed it towards the center of the turn, you'd pick up a component of centripetal acceleration as well.

don't understand q2.

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved section of a rollercoaster track that is higher on one side than the other. This design allows the train to maintain a higher speed and complete the turn safely without relying solely on friction.

2. How does a banked curve affect the speed of a rollercoaster?

A banked curve allows a rollercoaster to maintain a higher speed because it reduces the lateral force acting on the train. This means that the train can travel through the curve without slowing down as much due to friction.

3. What factors determine the angle of a banked curve?

The angle of a banked curve is determined by the speed of the rollercoaster, the radius of the curve, and the force of gravity. These factors are used to calculate the necessary centripetal force to keep the train on the track.

4. How does a banked curve improve safety on a rollercoaster?

A banked curve allows a rollercoaster to maintain a higher speed without relying solely on friction. This means that there is less wear and tear on the track and wheels, reducing the risk of accidents due to mechanical failure. Additionally, the force of gravity helps keep the train on the track, making it less likely to derail.

5. Can a banked curve be used for any type of rollercoaster?

Yes, a banked curve can be used for any type of rollercoaster, including steel, wooden, and inverted coasters. However, the angle of the banked curve may vary depending on the type of coaster and the speed at which it travels.