Eulers Equation confusion Are these the right equations?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the conversation discusses using different forms of equations to solve for real and complex solutions. The speaker mentions using the Euler equation for one real solution and two complex solutions, and provides equations for each. They also ask about using these forms for repeated roots and two real roots. The professor then explains how to use the Euler type equation and substitution to solve for solutions, and gives an example of solving for a specific equation. The speaker expresses understanding and provides their own answer to a problem.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I just went thorugh the pratice exam in about 15 minutes and got them all right but right when we were about to leave he also said you will need to do the following and he wrote the following:

Euler:
for 1 real solution:
USE:
y = c1*t^a + c2*t^a*ln(t);

2 complex:
USE:
y = t^a(c1*sin(b*ln(t)) + c2*cos(b*ln(t));
a is the real part
b is the imageary;

BUt he left out, what if you get repeated roots, also what if you get 2 real roots?

Also in his first equation:
for 1 real solution:
USE:
y = c1*t^a + c2*t^a*ln(t);

What is a? is that like r?
y''+18y'+85 = 0;
r^2+18r+85 = 0;
r1 = -9+2i
r2 = -9-2i

like how those are r's, is that what he ment by a?

So i asked him, when would we use those forms? And he wrote, when you have a differential in the form of:
a*x^2y'' +bxy' + cy = 0;

So i wanted to test it out to see if it works, so i tried:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/2hef20/lastscan.jpg
And using it the old way obviouslly doesn't work, can someone tell me the other forms? like for 2 year solutions like this problem requires and for repeated roots? Thank you! Once i get these other equations i think i'll be able to figure it out.

Ivey I looked at what you posted in the last 2 threads i posted but the professor said its memorizing a few simple formulas, he doesn't want us to work it out or put it in a different form.

An "Euler type equation" has x to a power equal to the order of the derivative (that's why it's also called "equipotential"). Your example,
x2y"+ 2xy'- 30y= x3 is exactly of that kind. As for the substitution, u= ln x, I've also told you about that before.

If u= ln x, by the chain rule, dy/dx= (du/dx)(dy/du)= (1/x)dy/du and
d2y/dx2= (-1/x2)dy/du+ (1/x2)d2y/du2. Also x= eu so x3= e3u Your equation becomes
d2y/du2+ dy/du- 30u= e3u.
That should be easy.

THanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i got it,
m^2-m-6m-8 = 0;
m = 8,-1

y = Ax^r1+Bx^r2;

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation is a mathematical relationship between the complex exponential function and the trigonometric functions cosine and sine.

2. How is Euler's equation used in science?

Euler's equation is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in analyzing oscillatory and wave phenomena, as well as in solving differential equations.

3. What is the difference between Euler's equation and Euler's identity?

Euler's equation is a general mathematical relationship, while Euler's identity is a specific case of Euler's equation where the exponent is equal to the imaginary number, i. In essence, Euler's identity is a special case of Euler's equation.

4. Can Euler's equation be extended to other exponential functions?

Yes, Euler's equation can be generalized to other exponential functions, such as the hyperbolic functions. These extensions are known as generalized Euler's equations and have important applications in various areas of mathematics.

5. How can I use Euler's equation to solve differential equations?

Euler's equation can be used to solve differential equations by converting them into algebraic equations. This is done by substituting the complex exponential function into the differential equation, which reduces the problem to a system of ordinary differential equations that can be solved using standard methods.