Calculating Kinetic Energy: What Does 'v' Equal in Terms of Kinetic Energy?

In summary, the question asks for help in expressing kinetic energy as an equation, given a problem involving kinetic energy and the coefficient of restitution. The conversation suggests starting with the ratio of final and initial kinetic energies and using the equation for kinetic energy.
mikefitz
http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/4941/untitlediy4.png

This question leaves me very confused. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of where to begin because we haven't gone over these problems in class. I understand that kinetic energy is energy that a body has as a result of motion, and is defined as one half the product of a body's mass and the square of it's speed.

But how do I express this as an equation given the attached problem? :confused:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
epsilon is the coefficient of restitution. Hint: Start with the ratio K_f/K_i, where K is the kinetic energy.

well... very simpily, what does v equal in terms of kinetic energy? try plugging that in the top and the bottom and see what you get.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its velocity, and then dividing by two. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What are the units for kinetic energy?

The standard unit for kinetic energy is joules (J). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or electronvolts (eV).

How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that an object can have. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. In some situations, kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of an object?

The kinetic energy of an object is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier object or an object with a greater velocity will have a higher kinetic energy compared to a lighter object or an object with a lower velocity.