Integral what has gone wrong here?

• Thread starter mmh37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a line integral using a given curve and parametrization. The person initially struggles with the problem and asks for help, and another person points out an error in the parametrization. After correcting the error, the conversation continues with discussing the field being conservative and its impact on the solution. The final conclusion is that the correct answer is e + 1.
mmh37
I am still struggling my way through line integrals, and this here is one where I do not understand what has gone wrong - does anyone see what it is ( I really want to understand all of this)?

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}{(y*e^{xy} + 2x + y)dx + (x*e^{xy} + x )dy } [/tex]

the curve joins (0,0) to (1,1)

where x= t and y=t (0<= t <= 1)

so, I said that

[tex] \frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {dy} {dt} = 1 [/tex]

therefore:
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} {( t*e^{t^2} + 2t + t + t*e^t^2 + t)dt} = \int_{0}^{1}{ (2t*e^{t^2} + 4t) dt} = e^1 + 1 [/tex]

However, the solution is supposed to be -2pi

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by [tex]e^{t2}[/tex]? Is it [tex]e^{2t}[/tex] or [tex]e^{t^2}[/tex]?

I guess it comes from the first expression, viz. [tex]ye^xy[/tex]. Is it [tex]y^2e^x[/tex] or [tex]ye^{xy}[/tex]?

Never mind, going through your calculation, I can see what you meant.

Hmmm... I obtain the same thing as you. Are you sure about that parametrization?

Last edited:
I am so sorry about that...I fixed it.

That's the parametrization the question stated:

(...) the curve joins (0,0) to (1,1)

where x= t and y=t (0<= t <= 1)

( I just double checked this)

Last edited:
does it mabe help that the field is conservative?

Last edited:
mmh37 said:
does it mabe help that the field is conservative?
A bit. That of course is the reason the path did not need to be given!

And it verifies that the correct answer is e+ 1.

1. What is the concept of "Integral what has gone wrong here?"

The concept of "Integral what has gone wrong here?" refers to the integral approach to understanding issues or problems that have occurred. It involves examining all aspects of the situation, including the underlying causes, interconnectedness, and potential solutions.

2. How does the integral approach differ from other problem-solving methods?

The integral approach differs from other problem-solving methods in that it takes into account multiple perspectives and dimensions of the issue at hand. This includes not only the rational and logical aspects, but also the emotional, social, and spiritual aspects.

3. What are the benefits of using the integral approach?

The benefits of using the integral approach include a more comprehensive and holistic understanding of the issue, the ability to identify underlying causes and connections, and the potential for more effective and sustainable solutions.

4. Can the integral approach be applied to any problem or situation?

Yes, the integral approach can be applied to any problem or situation. It can be used in a variety of fields including psychology, business, social sciences, and environmental studies.

5. Are there any limitations to the integral approach?

While the integral approach can be a powerful tool, it is not a one-size-fits-all solution and may not be suitable for every problem or situation. It also requires a high level of awareness and understanding of the different perspectives and dimensions involved.