Classical mechanics and conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses using momentum conservation to find the relationship between the velocity of a car relative to a boat and the velocity of the boat relative to the water. It is shown that the distance traveled by the boat, until the car falls off, is independent of the acceleration of the car. This is because the total momentum of the boat and car is constant and the center of mass of boat+car does not move.
darkar
Heres the question:

A car of mass m = 1200 kg and length l = 4 m is positioned such that its rear end is at the end of a flat-top boat of massM = 8000 kg and length L = 18 m. Both the car and the boat are initially at rest and can be approximated as uniform in their mass distributions and the boat can slide through the water without significant resistance.

Assuming the car accelerates with a constant acceleration a = 4 m/s^2 relative to the boat.

Use momentum conservation to find a relation between the velocity of the car relative to the boat and the velocity of the boat relative to the water. Hence show that the distance traveled by the boat, until the car falls off, is independent of the acceleration of the car.

My trying:
Since there's no external force, the Momentum of the center of Mass frame stay the same at initial and final state. Then i got the velocity of the car as -(20/3) x V(boat at final).

Then do the same thing to get the relationship between boat and water. But i don't get how to show that the distance moved is independence of the acceleration. Any help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
darkar said:
My trying:
Since there's no external force, the Momentum of the center of Mass frame stay the same at initial and final state. Then i got the velocity of the car as -(20/3) x V(boat at final).
Write an expression for the total momentum of boat + car with respect to the water. Note that they want "a relation between the velocity of the car relative to the boat and the velocity of the boat relative to the water."

Then do the same thing to get the relationship between boat and water. But i don't get how to show that the distance moved is independence of the acceleration.
No matter what speed the car travels with respect to the boat, when the car gets to the end of the boat, the boat will have moved the same distance (with respect to the water). Hint: The center of mass of boat+car does not move.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces. It encompasses the laws of motion, gravity, and energy conservation.

2. What is momentum?

Momentum is a quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as mass multiplied by velocity, and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal forces or interactions. This means that in a collision or explosion, the total momentum before and after the event will be the same.

4. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum can be conserved through different mechanisms, such as elastic collisions, where kinetic energy is conserved and objects bounce off each other, or inelastic collisions, where some kinetic energy is lost and objects stick together after the collision. In both cases, the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a car crash, or a rocket launching into space. In all of these situations, the total momentum of the system remains constant, even though individual objects may change direction or speed.