Physics Job in Canada: Grade 12 Student

In summary, the individual is looking for a summer job related to physics but there are limited opportunities for high school students. They suggest joining a local interest group or looking into programs such as WISEST for women in science, engineering, and technology. They also mention the option of joining the Canadian Armed Forces reserves, which can provide tuition money and opportunities for physics-related work depending on the chosen trade. However, the individual acknowledges that the armed forces may not be suitable for everyone.
glueball8
Hi, I don't know if this is allowed to be posted here; but, I'm looking for a summer job. Anything that would be in any way physics related would be great. I'm in Canada, so anywhere in the GTA, I'm going to grade 12 next year.

I don't know much physics, but I love it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to be negative, but it's not happening...

Closest thing you could have hoped for was to file papers in a place where other people do physics related work. But for high school students these types of opportunities require you to apply in like the previous winter...

There aren't really jobs in physics for high school students... And it's also getting pretty late to look for a summer job.

Any job will be good experience for you right now. (Even flipping burgers at Canada's Wonderland.) Can you think of some positions that you could apply for?

When you get into college, look for positions in research labs, helping out or doing whatever--just in a physics environment. Aside from that, don't worry about getting a job related to physics. Not to be blunt, but there's not much out there that will pay for a high school level exercise in physics problems.

Your best bet (take my advise on this) is to join a local interest group for the summer, like going out with friends and working on model rockets or something or other of that sort. Relaxing education to keep the brain sharp and to sharpen the saw (covey's!), so to speak.

Alberta has something called the WISEST program - women in science, engineering and technology - that promotes and organizes summer jobs for young women in those fields. I would imagine there are similar programs (for males and females) elsewhere. You could inquire about such things at your high school guidance officer.

It might be a little late for this summer, but you could contact your local recruiting office about a job in the Canadian Armed Forces reserves. There are a lot of good regiments in the GTA. And last I checked there were many incentives for students - including money for tuition. There can be a lot of physics involved in these positions depending on the trade you choose. Consider:
- artillery
http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=R021&re=1&isres=1&bhcp=1"
- signals
http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=R227&re=1&isres=1&bhcp=1"
- combat engineer
http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=R043&bhcp=1"

There's lots of others too. I spent 3 years as a medic. It gave me a lot more opportunites than flipping burgers. On the other hand, the armed forces aren't for everyone - and we are at war right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Physics job in Canada?

A Physics job in Canada is a career that involves using the principles and laws of physics to solve real-world problems or advance scientific research. This can include roles in areas such as engineering, research and development, education, and more.

What qualifications are needed for a Physics job in Canada?

To work in the field of physics in Canada, you typically need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree, depending on the specific job requirements.

What skills are important for a Physics job in Canada?

In addition to academic qualifications, important skills for a Physics job in Canada include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, critical thinking, and a solid understanding of mathematical concepts. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important.

What types of industries or companies hire for Physics jobs in Canada?

Physics jobs in Canada can be found in a variety of industries and organizations, including government agencies, universities and research institutions, technology and engineering companies, and more. Some specific industries that commonly hire physicists include aerospace, energy, medical technology, and telecommunications.

What is the job outlook for Physics careers in Canada?

The job outlook for Physics careers in Canada is generally positive, with a growing demand for professionals with a background in physics and related fields. According to the Government of Canada's Job Bank, employment in the field of physics is projected to grow at an average rate over the next few years, with opportunities for both new graduates and experienced professionals.