Ph.D. Physics Student Seeking Summer Research in Canada

In summary, the student is finishing their first year of a PhD in physics and research opportunities are limited at their university. They are looking for paid summer research opportunities in Canada in fields related to condensed matter physics, photonics, or biological physics. If accepted, they would be willing to work at a university, government agency, or industry-sponsored research.
earthling75
I am currently finishing my first year as a Ph.D. Physics student in the U.S.. Research opportunities are limited at my university. Are there any outside opportunities to do paid summer research, maybe in Canada, in fields related to condensed matter physics, photonics, or biological physics? I would be willing to work at a university, government agency, or industry-sponsored research.

Physics news on Phys.org
earthling75 said:
I am currently finishing my first year as a Ph.D. Physics student in the U.S.. Research opportunities are limited at my university.
You are at the wrong place. Transfer. Now.

Likes member 428835, vanhees71 and gwnorth
earthling75 said:
I am currently finishing my first year as a Ph.D. Physics student in the U.S.. Research opportunities are limited at my university. Are there any outside opportunities to do paid summer research, maybe in Canada, in fields related to condensed matter physics, photonics, or biological physics? I would be willing to work at a university, government agency, or industry-sponsored research.
What were the terms of your acceptance to grad school? In my grad school, students weren't officially accepted into a research program until they had successfully passed their quals. Most students didn't take those until fall semester of the second year. But the department provided funds for all students to conduct research with professors on campus for the first summer.

It strikes me as an odd statement that you've been accepted into a PhD program without research opportunities and that you would need to look to other schools for such opportunities.

Sometimes students don't end up with projects/supervisors right away. As CrysPhys suggests above, maybe you are expected to pass your qualifying examination first? If that's the case, shouldn't that be your focus for the summer? If not, are you sure that you're not supposed to be talking with faculty members in your department about projects right now? And if you're having a hard time finding something, schedule a meeting with the associate chair or whatever administrator is in charge of graduate students. Perhaps it's possible that with all the isolation associated with COVID, you've missed some critical information about the process somewhere along the line.

Likes member 428835 and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
You are at the wrong place. Transfer. Now.
This is tough advice to follow, but sadly OP, it's the right choice, unless as others have said, maybe you're missing massive info. Double check your acceptance offer. It's really difficult to believe the program is leaving you high and dry for the summer, though occasionally (rarely) I've heard of this happening.

1. What are the qualifications required for a Ph.D. physics student to seek summer research in Canada?

To seek summer research opportunities in Canada as a Ph.D. physics student, you must have completed at least two years of your Ph.D. program and have a strong academic background in physics. Additionally, you should have relevant research experience and a strong interest in the specific research area you are applying for.

2. How can I find summer research opportunities in Canada as a Ph.D. physics student?

There are several ways to find summer research opportunities in Canada as a Ph.D. physics student. You can search for openings on university websites, reach out to professors directly, or use online platforms that connect students with research opportunities. It is also helpful to network with other researchers and attend conferences to learn about potential opportunities.

3. Do I need a work permit to do summer research in Canada as an international Ph.D. physics student?

Yes, as an international Ph.D. physics student, you will need a valid work permit to do summer research in Canada. You can apply for a work permit through the Government of Canada's website or through your university's international student services office.

4. Can I receive funding for my summer research in Canada as a Ph.D. physics student?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for Ph.D. physics students seeking summer research in Canada. These can include scholarships, grants, or research assistantships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early as they can be highly competitive.

5. Can I continue my summer research in Canada as a Ph.D. physics student after the summer is over?

It is possible to continue your research in Canada after the summer as a Ph.D. physics student. However, this will depend on the availability of funding and the willingness of the research supervisor to extend your stay. It is important to discuss this possibility with your supervisor and make necessary arrangements beforehand.