Preparing for MSc in IIT - Reshma

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, preparing for an MSc in IIT involves careful planning and research to ensure success in the competitive program. This includes understanding the admission requirements and deadlines, preparing for entrance exams, and gathering all necessary documents and references. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the program curriculum and research opportunities, and to develop a strong academic and research background in relevant fields. Additionally, networking and building connections with professors and alumni can be beneficial in securing internships and job opportunities after graduation. Time management, dedication, and a strong passion for the subject are key factors in succeeding in an MSc program at IIT.
thank u swastik
its really amazing site
are u appearing for jam
have u solved test papers on www.trajectory.in

Physics news on Phys.org
mamta said:
thank u swastik
its really amazing site
are u appearing for jam
have u solved test papers on www.trajectory.in
Yes mamta .. you can ask for solutions on the JAM forum in trajectory.in ..I will post thr for benefit of all people..

hello,
I am a final year B.Tech. Electronics & Communication student from Nirma University. I'm planning for graduation in physics, although have NOT appeared for JAM this year, might do so next year.
So right now my choices are- U of Pune, U of Delhi and U of Hyd. If I ask for the books for these entrances, I think everyone would suggest halliday & irodov.

anyway, is there anyone who has switched to physics from Engineering? or planning to?

tanujt said:
hello,
I am a final year B.Tech. Electronics & Communication student from Nirma University. I'm planning for graduation in physics, although have NOT appeared for JAM this year, might do so next year.
So right now my choices are- U of Pune, U of Delhi and U of Hyd. If I ask for the books for these entrances, I think everyone would suggest halliday & irodov.

anyway, is there anyone who has switched to physics from Engineering? or planning to?

IIT JAM is completely different compare to other entrance tests, it is completely discriptive and way of preparations should be more relavent to each chapter.

I am preparing for IIT JAM 2009.

This is my second attempt to IIT Physics.
Last time I achieved Interview level for IISc (Physics).
Let me further any clarifications and suggestions.

Regards,
Parashu.V

Is anyone there for taking the IIT JAM 2009 , IISc entrance tests for this year.

Thanks all i got slight knowledge about preparing for physics in India. I completed B.E. Electronics and Communication. I am interested in physics.

are there any coaching institutes for jam preparation?

reshma please let me know bout the reference books to be followed for the iitjam exam for geophysics for both the papers of physics n maths.

please let me know bout the reference books to be followed for the iitjam exam for geophysics for both the papers of physics n maths for the following topics:
Sequences, Series and Differential Calculus
Integral Calculus
Differential Equations
Vector Calculus:
Linear Algebra.
Real Analysis
probability
statistics
complex analysis
numerical analysis

mechanics
oscillation
elec n magnetism
thermodynamics
modern phy
solid state phy
please please send the reply as quickly as possible.

please suggest books for iit jam physics i am in great confusion

anupboldhan said:
please suggest books for iit jam physics i am in great confusion
I started this thread nearly 5 years ago and I wonder how much the exam format has changed in the last 4 years since I had given the test. Anyway, problem solving is very important and they ask numerical as well as non-numerical problems. Try to obtain as many past papers as possible and attempt solving them to identify your weak points. Here are some of the books I would suggest for preparation:

1) Electricity and magnetism: David Griffiths [There is usually one problem directly from this book]
2) Mechanics: Keith Simon, Klepner and Kolenkow
3) Electronics: Albert Malvino [Just basics on logic circuits, transistors is sufficient]
4) Mathematical Physics: Mary Boaz
5) Modern Physics: Beiser
6) Quantum Mechanics [For JAM level preparation, Beiser's book is enough]
7) Heat and Thermodynamics: Zemansky, Gupta Roy
8) Optics by Ghatak and by Jenkins and White
9) Resnick and Halliday for general physics, including mechanics,optics,etc.
10) Relativity: Robert Resnick's book is good enough.

Good luck with your preparations!

Hi Reshma,
Even though this thread is for IIT JAm, do u have any idea regarding JEST reference books for physics?Kindly help as the exam is in feb. and i have no clue of any reference books. i have done btech in mechanical.

01.Mathematical Physics
02. Classical Mechanics
03. Electromagnetic theory
04. Quantum mechanics
05. Statistical Mechanics

Also, can anyone tell me where i can find previous JEST papers?

Smruthi said:
Hi Reshma,
Even though this thread is for IIT JAm, do u have any idea regarding JEST reference books for physics?Kindly help as the exam is in feb. and i have no clue of any reference books. i have done btech in mechanical.
There are no standard reference books for either JEST or JAM. But the syllabus for both is similar. JEST is fully objective based unlike JAM which has descriptive type questions as well.
I can suggest the following books:
1. Mathematical Physics: Mary Boas
2. Classical Mechanics: Keith Symon, Resnick-Halliday
3. Electromagnetic theory: David Griffiths
4. Quantum mechanics: Arthur Beiser
5. Statistical Mechanics: Beiser, Gupta Roy

Also, can anyone tell me where i can find previous JEST papers?
JEST papers are kept confidential, there are some sample questions on their website.

You can also appear for GATE Physics if you plan to do PhD in Physics. Papers are available online.

hi i viewed through this whole blog... could you guide in preparing for IIT JAM... WAITING FOR UR EARLIEST REPLY...

please give me suggestion....my a.i.r in physics in jam2010 is 850.....i m in sc category? ...in which iit i can get a call?

Hey all.. I'm also aspiring.. just aspiring.. didn't start working for JAM..:uhh:
But i happened to meet a few IIT madras students doing MSc.. N they told me that if i study about 2topics of the total 7topics in JAM syllabus, it'd be enough to crack JAM they said.. Is it true??

N also, they said that about 75 marks is enough to get a decent ranking.. Is it true??:confused:

deepak.j said:
Hey all.. I'm also aspiring.. just aspiring.. didn't start working for JAM..:uhh:
But i happened to meet a few IIT madras students doing MSc.. N they told me that if i study about 2topics of the total 7topics in JAM syllabus, it'd be enough to crack JAM they said.. Is it true??

N also, they said that about 75 marks is enough to get a decent ranking.. Is it true??:confused:

Don't stick to such suggestions, if you are serious about the exam.

However, it is true that careful and thorough preparation of selective topics will get you good score. Very few test takers are organised in their test preparation. But in order to identify and prepare on these "important" topics you will have to go through and solve as many previous JAM papers as possible.

Pay attention to mechanics related problems as they carry considerable amount of weight-age. There is always one problem from vector analysis. QM and electronic questions are mostly basic and straight forward. Go through the thread and check the book suggestions for JAM preparations.

Good luck!

Oh! thanks a lot for that reply.. will surely keep what you said in mind..
Just one more last clarification.. Please..

Well, I'v got this book called "Problems in general Physics" written by I.E.Irodov..
Will that book prove to be of use for JAM?
Cuz, I checked it on the internet n I found that its being widely used for JEE preparations.. Please clarify.. Thanks a ton for this..:)

Yes, Irodov's book is good for basic physics problems. Make sure you practice problems from the first 3 chapters of Griffith's book on Electrodynamics. QM problems are very basic and you can refer to Beiser's book for that.

But I reiterate, the best source of JAM problems is the previous years' papers. It has been 6 years since the exam began, so you have a good resource of physics problems to work on. :wink:

Reshma said:
Yes, Irodov's book is good for basic physics problems. Make sure you practice problems from the first 3 chapters of Griffith's book on Electrodynamics. QM problems are very basic and you can refer to Beiser's book for that.

But I reiterate, the best source of JAM problems is the previous years' papers. It has been 6 years since the exam began, so you have a good resource of physics problems to work on. :wink:

Oh! Thanks a lot for takin the time off to reply..:approve: this is enough to get me going.. hope to make it ther..:shy:
Hope gods listenin to me now..:tongue2:

hey friends...i wish to crack jam geophysics in 2012...
please suggest me some good books in physics and maths...by readin above i have got to know books of physics...but please tel some good books in maths.

I have secured 73% in B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics from Delhi University.
I also attempted JAM Physics as well as Geophysics.
My Physics AIR in JAM is 357 in Physics and in Geophysics is 65.
Where can I get admission.
My first preferance would be M.Sc./M.Tech/M.Sc.(Tech.) Geophysics and Physics would be my second preferance.
I also gave the ISM Dhanbad entrance this year. My name appears on the Extended Merit List. What should I do?
Is M.Sc. Applied Physics from ISM a good course? Are there good placements for this course?

There is no way of telling where you can be admitted. With an AIR of 357, it may be difficult to get into the top physics programmes viz. IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay or IIT Delhi. I have no idea about the MSc Physics programmes of the new IITs which have recently come up. But be sure to check out their department websites and if possible try contacting the faculties to discuss your research interests. Don't be too hung up about getting into only top-tier programmes.

I don't have much idea about Geophysics programmes. Check the individual requirements of the departments which offer MSc/M.Tech degrees in this field. Earth Sciences department of IIT Bombay does have PG level courses in this field: http://www.geos.iitb.ac.in/programs.html

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the help Reshma! I really appreciate it! :)

hi i am also preparing for iit jam physics. does chand publication books have enough information to crack entrance exam

bombhola said:
i'm in iit b thru jam-- what u want to know?

hi i am also preparing for iit jam in physics, does chand publication books have enough information to crack entrance exam

bombhola said:
since u don't get to see previous yr's q. paper- i'd advise u to sit for as many competitive exams--e.g. JEST 2005, IISc, JNU entrance exam etc. as u can-- so that u get acquianted with their question types. exams r formula based-- I'm sorry to say u need to mug them up first! enroll for JEST immediately-- it's date may already be over-- after that there are some books which u'll have to go thru-- like griffiths, kleppner etc.

hi i heard that JNU only offers course only in life science. does it offers course in physical science...

Reshma said:
I am quite amused at the mixed responses I got in this thread. Anyway, this is a useful link for people interested in JAM: http://www.iitb.ac.in/~jam/index.html
If anyone is over here is preparing for JAM, you can PM me. I wonder how much help I can be of since I'll be taking this exam only next year, anyway glad to be of any help.

Also are there any IITians here who can be resourceful for students preparing for JAM?

hi which book do you refer?... does chand publication book have enough information to crack entrance exam

hi I'm also preparing for iit jam.please help me

sumanmishra said:
hi I'm also preparing for iit jam.please help me

Hi suman
well this are the book you should refer
1) Electricity and magnetism: David Griffiths [There is usually one problem directly from this book]
3) Electronics: Albert Malvino [Just basics on logic circuits, transistors is sufficient]
For syllabus and question papers enter this link WWW.iit.ac.in[/URL] you will get all the information...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reshma said:
I started this thread nearly 5 years ago and I wonder how much the exam format has changed in the last 4 years since I had given the test. Anyway, problem solving is very important and they ask numerical as well as non-numerical problems. Try to obtain as many past papers as possible and attempt solving them to identify your weak points. Here are some of the books I would suggest for preparation:

9) Resnick and Halliday for general physics, including mechanics,optics,etc.
10) Relativity: Robert Resnick's book is good enough.

Good luck with your preparations!

Hi,
Thanx for the references you shared, it is really helpful. I just wish to ask if you can suggest any book for Real Analysis problem book for JAM which is asked in geophysics paper

I don't have much idea on the geophysics paper since I had given the exam in Physics. Usually JAM syllabus is very basic and they ask only fundamental questions. So you might do pretty well if you just follow the standard text-books which your university follows.

Nevamind, the references u shared are pretty helpful,, Thanks for that :)