Is My EE Degree Mathematically Sufficient?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Ee
In summary, there are a wide variety of math courses offered at this university, ranging from basic algebra to advanced topics such as game theory and chaos theory. These courses cover a range of topics including calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and various areas of pure and applied mathematics. The university also offers opportunities for directed study, internships, and independent study. Graduate students can also pursue a thesis or dissertation in their chosen field.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Hello,

This fall I will be starting my B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Here are the required math courses at my university I must take for this degree:

MATH 181--Calculus I (4 credits)
MATH 182--Calculus II* (4 credits)
MATH 283R--Calculus III* (4 credits)
MATH 285--Differential Equations* (3 credits)
MATH 352 or STAT 352-- Probability and Statistics (3 credits)

This looks a little light to me (compared with other universities). Is this enough math? I have seen other programs which contain Linear Algebra and another 300 level course in their requirements.

Should I assume that those topics will be covered in what is offered at my university? I also considering minors in either math or engineering physics. Which would be more beneficial for an electrical engineer? I am leaning towards the math minor mainly due to my interest in the subject, however, if engineering physics would make more sense for an EE major, I'll assume that option.

Is there such thing as 'too much math', even if I enjoy the subject?

-Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like the classes and see their application in your field (and their requirement at other institutions towards their EE degree) go for it.

I took a lot of extra math classes (PDE's/BVP's, Complex analysis, Real analysis, etc) as a physics major... in fact I would have had a double major in math except that I skipped some intermediate analysis class required by the degree program but not officially prereq's for the advanced analysis courses that I did take! I found that they definitely helped.

What topics are offered through the engineering physics program that you find interesting and might overlap well with your career goals? (In my case I also found a lot of chemistry courses overlapped with my materials science interests, so I got a strong minor in that also.)

I honestly am not sure if a "minor" means much in the job application process... or even if a double major does. Having strong coursework in particular complementary fields might... as well as possibly having some graduate coursework in your primary field.

Decisions, decisions. Do what interests you and what your gut says!

It does seem light especially for a EE, why not take other math courses that interest you or that you feel will be useful.

Usually linear algebra is not covered in a standard calculus I, II, and III sequence. More likely than not, all the linear algebra you'll get in that sequence would be computing determinants of 3x3 matrices in calculus III for finding cross products and Jacobian determinants for the change of variables theorem. Some schools have honors versions of calculus which either have more of a real analysis flavor or include linear algebra at the same time. Do you know if your school offers this?

It is possible, however, that some linear algebra beyond determinants will be covered in the differential equations class if the class includes a section on systems of differential equations. However, it most likely wouldn't be equivalent to an actual class on the subject unless that's a really accelerated course (which seems unlikely if it's simply called "differential equations").

This is all under the assumption that those courses follow the standard curriculum, which seems likely based on their titles but obviously not guaranteed.

Here are the math courses offered at the university:

MATH 019: FUNDAMENTALS OF COLLEGE MATHEMATICS I
MATH 096: INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA
MATH 119: FUNDAMENTALS OF COLLEGE MATHEMATICS II
MATH 120: FUNDAMENTALS OF COLLEGE MATHEMATICS
MATH 122: NUMBER CONCEPTS FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 123: STATISTICAL AND GEOMETRICAL CONCEPTS FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 126 R: PRECALCULUS I
MATH 127 R: PRECALCULUS II
MATH 128: PRECALCULUS AND TRIGONOMETRY
MATH 130: ANALYTIC GEOMETRY
MATH 131: QUANTITATIVE REASONING
MATH 176: INTRODUCTORY CALCULUS FOR BUSINESS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
MATH 181: CALCULUS I
MATH 182: CALCULUS II
MATH 253: MATRIX ALGEBRA
MATH 283 R: CALCULUS III
MATH 285: DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
MATH 299: DIRECTED STUDY
MATH 307: SYMBOLIC LOGIC
MATH 310: INTRODUCTION TO ANALYSIS I
MATH 311: INTRODUCTION TO ANALYSIS II
MATH 320 R: MATHEMATICS OF INTEREST
MATH 330: LINEAR ALGEBRA
MATH 331: GROUPS, RINGS AND FIELDS
MATH 352: PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS
MATH 373: THEORY OF POSITIVE INTEGERS
MATH 381: METHODS OF DISCRETE MATHEMATICS
MATH 401/601: SET THEORY
MATH 410/610: COMPLEX ANALYSIS
MATH 411/611: REAL ANALYSIS
MATH 412/612: FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS
MATH 419/619: TOPICS IN ANALYSIS
MATH 420/620: MATHEMATICAL MODELING
MATH 422/622: OPTIMAL ANALYSIS
MATH 429/629: TOPICS IN APPLIED ANALYSIS
MATH 430/630: LINEAR ALGEBRA II
MATH 439/639: TOPICS IN ALGEBRA
MATH 440/640: TOPOLOGY
MATH 441/641: INTRODUCTION TO ALGEBRAIC TOPOLOGY
MATH 442/642: DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY
MATH 443/643: DIFFERENTIAL GEOMETRY AND RELATIVITY I
MATH 449/649: TOPICS IN GEOMETRY AND TOPOLOGY
MATH 461/661: PROBABILITY THEORY
MATH 462/662: INTRODUCTION TO STOCHASTIC PROCESSES
MATH 466/666: NUMERICAL METHODS I
MATH 467/667: NUMERICAL METHODS II
MATH 474/674: SETS AND NUMBERS
MATH 475/675: EUCLIDEAN AND NON-EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY
MATH 477/677: TOPICS FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 485/685: GRAPH THEORY AND COMBINATORICS
MATH 486/686: GAME THEORY
MATH 487 R, 687 R: DETERMINISTIC OPERATIONS RESEARCH
MATH 488/688: PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
MATH 490/690: INTERNSHIP
MATH 499/699: INDEPENDENT STUDY
MATH 659: SPECIAL TOPICS OF INTEREST IN PROBABILITY
MATH 701-702: NUMERICAL ANALYSIS AND APPROXIMATION
MATH 713-714: ABSTRACT AND REAL ANALYSIS
MATH 715-716: COMPLEX FUNCTION THEORY
MATH 721: NONLINEAR DYNAMICS AND CHAOS I
MATH 722: NONLINEAR DYNAMICS AND CHAOS II
MATH 731-732: MODERN ALGEBRA
MATH 741-742: TOPOLOGY
MATH 751: OPERATIONS RESEARCH I--LINEAR PROGRAMMING AND EXTENSIONS
MATH 752: OPERATIONS RESEARCH II--STOCHASTIC MODELS
MATH 753: STOCHASTIC MODELS AND SIMULATION
MATH 761: METHODS IN APPLIED MATH I
MATH 762: METHODS IN APPLIED MATH II
MATH 767: ADVANCED MATHEMATICS FOR EARTH SCIENCES
MATH 773: TOPICS IN ALGEBRA
MATH 774: TOPICS IN GEOMETRY AND ANALYSIS
MATH 775: ADVANCED STUDY OF TOPICS IN PROBABILITY
MATH 776: TOPICS IN ALGEBRA AND DISCRETE MATH FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 777: TOPICS IN ANALYSIS FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 778: TOPICS IN APPLIED MATH FOR HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
MATH 780: TOPICS IN ADVANCED MATHEMATICS
MATH 786: COOPERATIVE GAME THEORY
MATH 793: INDEPENDENT STUDY
MATH 795: COMPREHENSIVE EXAMINATION
MATH 797: THESIS
MATH 799: DISSERTATION
MATH 899: GRADUATE ADVISEMENT

zpconn:

It appears as if you are correct in that linear algebra will not be covered much in my math courses, due to the fact that they are offered as separate courses altogether here.

physics girl phd & ronaldor9:

You both bring up good points. Aside from the 68 credits I need from both the engineering and math departments, I will need 25 credits designated as 'Science and Technical Electives'. If the math and physics courses in which I am interested will count for this category, I will take them. Or maybe, if my financial situation so permits, I will take them even if they don't count.

A friend of mine advised against taking extra courses that "satisfy my interests" while pursuing an EE degree, based on the fact that an EE degree does not leave much room for 'extra' courses. Is this true? If there is an issue about the workload being too heavy, I don't necessarily need to be done in four years. I am also not intimidated by hard and/or challeging work. I will do whatever it takes.

-Robert

physics girl phd said:
What topics are offered through the engineering physics program that you find interesting and might overlap well with your career goals?

The following classes caught my eye from the Engineering Physics program:

PHYS 182--Physics for Scientists and Engineers III
PHYS 182L--Physics for Scientists and Engineers Laboratory III
PHYS 301--Mathematical Methods Physics
PHYS 473--Electricity and Magnetism

I don't know if this would be unnecessary, though. They appear as if they would be beneficial for me.

-Robert

You should do more research into it - at my school, linear algebra up through spectral decomposition is covered in calculus 2, and the higher level linear algebra classes are all rigorous proof based classes for math majors. Your school might be the same case.

As a working EE, I agree that it seems pretty light.

I'd expect coverage of linear algebra, vector geometry, discrete mathematics, etc. to be included in any EE curriculum.

- Warren

Monocles said:
You should do more research into it - at my school, linear algebra up through spectral decomposition is covered in calculus 2, and the higher level linear algebra classes are all rigorous proof based classes for math majors. Your school might be the same case.

The course description in the catalog for Calculus II was a bit ambiguous with regards to what is covered. I am going to have to talk to a counselor.

chroot said:

I'd expect coverage of linear algebra, vector geometry, discrete mathematics, etc. to be included in any EE curriculum.

- Warren

Thank you, Warren. My main concern was not being adequately educated for either graduate studies and/or my employer. I'm inclined to put in more work during my undergraduate studies, rather than find out later I am illequipped to perform certain tasks or calculations on any projects/jobs to which I am assigned, etc.

-Robert

Sorry to interrupt but I'm just curious, is PDE a requirement in undergrad EE?

Sorry once again, and yeah that list of modules is quite little for EE. I thought EE would require linear algebra and tensors too?

chroot said:

- Warren

Wouldn't vector geometry be covered with multivariable calculus (presumably "calculus 3")? I agree that an additional linear algebra class could be useful, but they may cover a lot of the necessary math as part of the EE courses.

I recommend waiting until the OP is actually at the university (which he is not yet) where he can ask EE professors, upperclass EE majors, and perhaps EE grad students.

Is your university ABET accredited? I believe linear algabra is required for a university to achieve this accreditation.

From a google search of the course numbers and titles, I'll make a guess...
U. Nevada, Reno?
If so, then the catalog entry for the BS in EE says its ABET accredited...
http://www.cis.unr.edu/ecatalog/(S(fnhizb55nuqrjhqovmnybz45))/Default.aspx?article_list_id=16184

It may be that some "mathematical methods" are handled in a computation course like http://www.ss.unr.edu/records/catalog/?id=EE291 (rather than an analytic math course).

You might wish to poke around various "course websites" at your university
for courses you'll encounter later in your curriculum. You might find some useful information (e.g. a syllabus).

Last edited:
robphy said:
From a google search of the course numbers and titles, I'll make a guess...
U. Nevada, Reno?
If so, then the catalog entry for the BS in EE says its ABET accredited...
http://www.cis.unr.edu/ecatalog/(S(fnhizb55nuqrjhqovmnybz45))/Default.aspx?article_list_id=16184

It may be that some "mathematical methods" are handled in a computation course like http://www.ss.unr.edu/records/catalog/?id=EE291 (rather than an analytic math course).

You might wish to poke around various "course websites" at your university
for courses you'll encounter later in your curriculum. You might find some useful information (e.g. a syllabus).

That's a good idea.

In making the poor assumption that a course without 'MATH' in it's title would be devoid of maths, I am probably overlooking many things whilst also unnecessarily raising my anxiety level.

Yes, I will be attending UNR for my degree. I live in a small town in the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Tahoe City), so this university is really the only practical option for me.

-Robert

1. What is an EE degree?

An EE degree, or Electrical Engineering degree, is a program that focuses on the principles and applications of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves studying topics such as circuits, digital systems, signal processing, and power systems.

2. Is a strong math background required for an EE degree?

Yes, a strong math background is essential for an EE degree. Math is used extensively in various courses such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. A good understanding of math is necessary to solve problems and analyze data in the field of electrical engineering.

3. What happens if I don't have enough math skills for an EE degree?

If you do not have enough math skills for an EE degree, it may be challenging to understand and excel in the coursework. It is recommended to brush up on your math skills before starting the program, or seek additional help from tutors or professors.

4. Can I still pursue a career in electrical engineering without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is essential for an EE degree, it is still possible to pursue a career in electrical engineering without one. However, it may be more difficult to find job opportunities and excel in the field without a solid understanding of math concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help improve my math skills for an EE degree?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve math skills for an EE degree. These can include online tutorials, practice problems, study groups, and tutoring services. Your university or college may also have resources specifically for math help for engineering students.