Solving Electric Field: From (3) to (4)

In summary, the electric field equation states that the electric field experienced at a point (x,0,0) is proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the charge, divided by the Lorentz factor. The book Electromagnetism by Pollack and Stump states that the electric field is generated by a charge located at (-l,0,0), and that the x-component of the electric field is equal to the sum of the x-components of the fields experienced by the charge and the point itself.
jumi
So there's this situation going on:
http://imageshack.us/a/img826/7398/physicsforums.png

Going from the definition of an electric field:
(1) [itex]\vec{E} ( \vec{x} ) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} ∫ \frac{\vec{x} - \vec{x'}}{| \vec{x} - \vec{x'} | ^3} ρ( \vec{x'}) d^3x'[/itex]

(2) The [itex]ρ(\vec{x'})d^3x'[/itex] reduces to [itex]λdz'[/itex]. And [itex]\vec{x} - \vec{x'} = x \hat{i} - z' \hat{k} = \sqrt{x^2 + z'^{2}}[/itex].

(3) Now, plugging this information into the electric field equation yields:
[itex]\vec{E} ( \vec{x} ) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \int^{l}_{-l} \frac{\sqrt{x^2 + z'^{2}}}{(\sqrt{x^2 + z'^{2}})^3} λdz'[/itex]

(4) However, the book (Electromagnetism by Pollack and Stump) shows:
[itex]E_{x}(x,0,0) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \int^{l}_{-l} \frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + z'^{2}})^3} λdz' [/itex]

How do we get from (3) to (4)? Why is z' only removed from the numerator?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula (3) is obviously wrong, because on the left-hand side is a vector and on the right-hand side a scalar quantity.

From (1) and (2) you immediately write down (4). So your book is correct. There is no z' in the numerator of the x component!

so the charged wire is along z axis so by symmetry only x component will survive so
z will be absent in numerator and beware it is a vector.

vanhees71 said:
Your formula (3) is obviously wrong, because on the left-hand side is a vector and on the right-hand side a scalar quantity.

From (1) and (2) you immediately write down (4). So your book is correct. There is no z' in the numerator of the x component!

I don't understand how I could just go from (1) and (2) to (4)...

andrien said:
so the charged wire is along z axis so by symmetry only x component will survive so
z will be absent in numerator and beware it is a vector.

Or why the numerator doesn't have a vector magnitude, whereas the demoninator does...

I was, however, able to get the correct answer, just not using the full notation from equation (1).

So I start with: [itex]\vec{E} ( \vec{x} ) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} ∫ \frac{\vec{x} - \vec{x'}}{| \vec{x} - \vec{x'} | ^3} ρ( \vec{x'}) d^3x'[/itex]

And since [itex]d\vec{E}[/itex] generated by [itex]dq[/itex] on the line will be symmetric (i.e. only the x-component will survive), we can say [itex]dE_{x} = d\vec{E}cos(\theta)[/itex].

Therefore: [itex]dE = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{1}{r^2} dq[/itex], where [itex]r = | \vec{x} - \vec{x'}| = \sqrt{x^2 + z'^2}[/itex]

Therefore: [itex]dE_{x} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{1}{x^2 + z'^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + z'^2}} λdz' [/itex] from [itex]cos(\theta) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + z'^2}} [/itex] and [itex] dq = λdz'[/itex]

Which gives the result in the book: [itex]E_{x}(x,0,0) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \int^{l}_{-l} \frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + z'^{2}})^3} λdz' [/itex].

So was I supposed to recognize that I needed to use the cos(θ) relationship from the beginning? I'm also still confused on how the vector difference only acts on the denominator, if I were to just use equation (1).

Thank in advance.

Based on the information provided, it appears that the situation being discussed is related to calculating the electric field at a point due to a line of charge. The initial equation (1) is the general definition of the electric field, which takes into account the distance between the point of interest and the source of charge, as well as the distribution of charge.

In (2), the distribution of charge is simplified to a linear charge density (λ) multiplied by a differential length (dz'). This is likely done for convenience in the calculation, as it reduces the integral to a one-dimensional problem.

In (3), the equation is further simplified by substituting the expression for the distance between the point of interest and the source (x and z') into the denominator of the equation. This results in a simpler integral to solve for the electric field at a given point.

In (4), the electric field is being calculated at a specific point along the x-axis (x,0,0). This means that z' = 0, and thus the term for z' is removed from the equation. This is because the point of interest is on the same axis as the line of charge, so the distance between the two is simply the value of x.

In summary, the simplifications made in (2) and (3) are done to make the integral easier to solve, and the difference between (3) and (4) is due to the specific point at which the electric field is being calculated. I hope this helps clarify the situation.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is responsible for the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of other charged particles.

2. How do you calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential at a certain point.

3. What is the significance of solving electric field from (3) to (4)?

Solving electric field from (3) to (4) refers to the process of finding the electric field at a specific point in space, given the electric potential at two different points. This is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they affect charged particles.

4. What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in SI units and Volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system of units.

5. How does the direction of electric field relate to the direction of the force on a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field is in the same direction as the force experienced by a positively charged particle and in the opposite direction of the force experienced by a negatively charged particle.